• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Humvee contract

scottm

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I just read that Oshkosh has gotten the new Humvee replacement contract. What will come of the optimizer/P400 engine line? Will AMG keep supporting it?

I imagine they will keep with it, but definitely slow down.

There will still be thousands of Humvees out there in need of engines, so I would think the GEP division will keep producing long after the parent company (AMG) quits the Humvee.

AMG Engine sales are super slow for me. Someone have a better price than me out there?

What will come of the optimizer/P400 engine line? Will AMG keep supporting it?

Likely depends on when the HMMWV support contract(s) expire and whether the new vehicle is on schedule with deployment. Oshkosh states they will start delivery in ten months from contract award; we will see . . . After the support contracts expire, it comes down to a simple business decision as to whether there is sufficient demand in the marketplace to keep making the Optimizer.

AMG Engine sales are super slow for me. Someone have a better price than me out there?

Suspect that has more to do with philosophy rather than pricing. Most 6.5 owners will overhaul the motor themselves rather than pay for a new motor that exceeds the blue-book value of the vehicle (even though the AM General product is better). Also, it is rare that anybody younger than a Boomer takes an interest in the 6.5 as it's simplistic nature is simply lost on somebody who wants a techno-bling and tire-burning motor.

What powers the JTLV? I googled a bit and read it was digital controlled with a computer OBD type monitoring but did not see anything on the engine size or configuration etc.

OK, finally found it.

With statements like that we're betting this JLTV is the real deal. With military builds specs are minimal, the only thing we know for sure is that it will be powered by a Banks 866T V8 Diesel engine based on Duramax architecture. If you’re a fan of the iconic Humvee don’t worry the US Army is only replacing a 1/3 of the current Humvee Fleet with the Oshkosh JLTV with the first vehicles arriving in fiscal 2018 for the Army and fiscal 2022 for the Marine Corps.

From: http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1508-humvee-to-be-replaced-by-oshkosh-jltv/#ixzz3jyAScydy
Follow us: @fwmag on Twitter | fourwheelermag on Facebook

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I remember the arguments of keeping some jeeps as the Humvee was heavy and expensive in comparison. This JLTV is upping that. Seems like they would need a Humvee type vehicle for more basic transportation in non combat roles.

Back