• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New HID Owner w questions

Will

Boobies make me happy
Reaction score
I received 3 sets of 5K HIDs to put in my truck and I have a questions. I, like many, park my truck in the garage at night. What can I do besides pulling the auto headlight fuse to keep the headlights from coming on when I start my truck in the garage? I know that's hard on ballasts and I don't want to burn them up prematurely.

Also what is the best way to properly re-aim the headlights? I have the Tbars turned up some to level the truck out. I assume I will need to reaim the fogs as well. How much should I lower them?

You could try putting on the E brake or turning on the high beams. If you wanted to get fancy you could install a Pulse Timer Relay. This would let you cycle the glow plugs and start the truck before the HID's ever saw power.

Thats a good idea. I simply chose to disable my sensor. I've never tried the e-brake option so I have no idea if that works or not.

I re aimed mine but not a whole lot. I think I ended up moving them up. You'll notice that they have a very fine line where the light cuts off. Its pretty much trial and error so a couple quick turns and you'll have several feet of difference. The best way to do it is to just drive it at night and see where they cut off at. You'll definitely know if you have to re aim them or not.

I wouldn't install them.....ship them to me and I can take care of them pronto.

I wouldn't install them.....ship them to me and I can take care of them pronto.

I'll get right on that):h

So I guess I'll either have to park the truck outside during the day so I won't have to worry about the lights coming on then. I'd rather not pull that fuse as I like having the lights do their thing automatically.

Also on the vvme kits which 2 wires do I need to switch for the lights to come on correctly? I've heard with some that you have to do that because the polarity is reversed on the GMs. I think I know which ones they are but want to double check before cutting up my new lights.

Also on the vvme kits which 2 wires do I need to switch for the lights to come on correctly? I've heard with some that you have to do that because the polarity is reversed on the GMs. I think I know which ones they are but want to double check before cutting up my new lights.

It the Main Power Plug that Taps into the Stock Plug.

That's what I thought but wanted to make sure. I wonder how difficult it is to pop the factory wires out of the plug and switch them? That would be better then cutting and splicing.

Has anyone had problems with the VVME HID fog lights? I went to install them tonight and it's like they forgot to put the the female end on to the wires that plug into the light bulb. The wires have the metal crimp ends on them though. Hopefully I can get the connectors I need at the auto parts store tomorrow.

Here you go James. As you can the end needed to plug into the factory harness is not there.
100_2309.jpg

100_2308.jpg

Some come like that, some don't. Usually H11 Bulbs come like that.

It'll still Work though. If you're not Using a Relay, you can just Plug the OEM Plug into the Ballast, and Cut off that Grommet with the Extra Plug on it.

Yea I got that shit on my sisters Acura Rsx with H1's and H11's. I just plugged em into the factory harness and heat wrapped em real good working down in sizing. Works fine.

Just for future reference....H1's DO NOT come with X-Clips from there nor did I ever see an option for it. I just used the rubber bushing as a replacement and I think thats what the instructions tell you to use also. Doesnt really matter as long as the base is sitting flush on light. Would have been nice though.

Back