• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New guy here with 99 k2500 5.7

taman86

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I am a mechanic by trade but haven’t done much trans work internally.As the title states I have a 99 4l80e 4x4 with 200k on the clock and in the process of rebuilding the 5.7. I have access to a 96 4l80e from a 6.5 but the case is trashed but theinternals were freshly rebuilt. Can I swap the internals from the 96 to 99?

I would not reccomend intermixxing parts unless you're VERY versed in the 4l80e and what interchanges. Some changes inside are very discreet and require a micrometer to identify the differences. For all purposes, you should consider the front luber(both cooler lines in front) and the 97+ center luber(1 cooler line in front the other in the middle) as different transmissions. Even in 99 there are NUMEROUS changes that were made mid year essentially making them different transmissions.

Ok thank you for the response. So how then do I go about identifying which model I have to order the correct rebuild?

Ok thanks for all the tips. Is there any good rebuild how to’s around? I found a couple you tube videos.

Ok a couple more questions. What is needed to run an 01 4l80 in my 99 5.7? Also what are the different stalls between the years? I am rebuilding the 5.7 and doing a 383 with a mildish cam around a lt4 hot cam specs. The truck is mainly going to be used for hauling and towing so I know a slightly higher stall will be better for the larger cam. I was already planning on doing the transgo hd2 shift kit and pump upgrade.

An 01 trans will bolt right in place of a 99. Run the stock high stall single stator converter that came stock in it.

I`m not much up on camshafting infurmashun, I do remember that the older TBI enjuns was limited to what cams they run due to the ECM to cam compatibility.
People with more knowledge than I might jump in and expound on this idea.

Back