• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Guy From Labrador

Koots

Don't Mind Me
Reaction score
Hi all, i'm the new guy from Labrador, Canada. I'm a life long GM truck fan, currently own 3.

My current project/DD is my 1983 GMC Jimmy:

DSC_0516.jpg

DSC_0518.jpg

DSC_0502.jpg

Has a c-code 6.2L/700R4, currently riding on a Tuff Country 4" lift, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2's.

I'm looking into beefing up my engine, adding some life into it (hopefully a turbo sometime in the future). My plans are:

4911 injection pump, new or reman injectors, arp head studs, stud girdle (gonna try to make my own).

If i find a good 6.5L turbo set up, i'm gonna run fel-pro .10" over headgaskets to lower the compression slightly and rig up a 3.5 or 4" exhaust. I plan to run nominal boost until i can find a suitable 6.5 block to rebuild and throw my resources into that.

Anyway, plan to stick around and learn some stuff and have a bit of fun on the way!

Welcome Koots. Nice Jimmy you have and it looks like some pretty country where you live. As you will see we have several guys on here from Canada.

Oooooo... I LIKE the '83 Jimmy!:thumbsup:

Welcome to The Truck Stop Koots!

GMCtrk:

Welcome Koots, nice jimmy.

When the time comes for a rebuild the 6.2 is a good start, many here have used that block and threw on 6.5 heads manifolds and turbo.

Thanks everyone

Welcome Koots, nice jimmy.

When the time comes for a rebuild the 6.2 is a good start, many here have used that block and threw on 6.5 heads manifolds and turbo.

I was thinking of that, but this truck is my DD and will be my main mode of transportation. So i'm thinking of buying a used engine to rebuild while the current 6.2L is cranking away beneath the frame rails. I'd go with either 6.2 or 6.5, but figured i'd start with bigger cubes unless i find a good deal right away.

BTW, Here are some progress pics, how it sat for 5 years just sitting in my parents backyard:
071.jpg

In my shop ready for lift:
Jimmyprelift2.jpg

Post lift:
100_0440.jpg

Favorite Pics:
DSC_0539-1.jpg

DSC_0569-1.jpg

The pics i first posted are the most current, after i painted the grille (which half of it busted out a few weeks later) and installed the Ebay projectors and HID's

Welcome to The Truck Stop! Nice looking rig you have! There is PLENTY of 6.5 and 6.2 knowledge on this site that you'll be elbow deep in it in no time!

Nice rig. I like the headlights. Do the make a real world difference.

I bought them purely for looks and to fit HID's (H4 conversion lights), otherwise this cheap ebay headlight is substandard. I also only paid $220 for the 4 lights, HID's and full harness (including relays) I still like the way they look but i think i might cut them up for a proper projector retrofit for HIDs.

is that really an 83? I didn't think they had that front clip until 86 or 87?
I do like that clip though and would love to change mine

AFAIK it's was all original when i got it. The PO's might have changed it at some point but not since i've had it. The truck is highly optioned though (power w/l, cruise control, A/C, tilt steering, carpet, headliner, brushed aluminum trim, full door panels,etc.) so it might have come with that package.

oh cool!! It has the red block right? because that would be a better block for you to build than a regular old 6.2/ 6.5 unless you start to fork out the $$$

oh i wasn't sure how long they continued it. So in 82 they can make a good block then 83 they made a weaker block but stronger heads damn them haha

Back