• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Guy / 1995 Chevy 6.5

dieseldust

Reaction score
First of all i would like to say a big shout out to all the members here HELLOOOOOOOOOO,

The truck i am looking at is a 1995 Chevy 2500 4x4 ex/cab Full load except leather 180000 miles one owner nice truck 6.5 auto, when i started it up it was cold and had been sitting for about a month when last started ,it smoked for about 3 seconds then gone and ran smooth and quiet, it has a electronic box on top of the intake that has cooling fins on it and says his dealer installed to to fix the prob of it getting to hot on the pump, i took it for a drive and it was great until we went up a hill check engine light came on and lost some power, shut down and restated check engine light was gone and power back, this only happened when it was climbing a hill.

The owner says he will get it fixed,

What do you guys think of the truck and what do you think the problem might be, and i can buy it for 3000 .

Cheers
James

Could be a good deal. There is a pre-purchase checklist on this site someplace. That'll give you some ideas of things to check.

, it has a electronic box on top of the intake that has cooling fins on it and says his dealer installed to to fix the prob of it getting to hot on the pump,

This will have to go. The only safe place for a PMD is out of the engine bay. I believe that on top of the intake is worse than in the stock location. Check out http://www.pmdcable.com or http://www.heathdiesel.com (both are site sponsors) for kits to locate the PMD outside the engine bay.

Welcome aboard. :thumbsup:

hard to say without knowing code, you can buy a cheap extension cable to relocate the finned box(pump mounted driver; PMD) and avoid the biggest problem with this engine. need to get code, could be something easy to fix since power came back or possibly bad, like the injection pump.

Maybe something boost related to the lack of power?
Welcome to the site, best group of guys around!

Kind of sound like it defueled on the hill, maybe a wastegate problem, or a boost sensor.

X2, when it looses power up a hill like that. Computer needs to be satisfied with the amount of boost being fed into the engine. Do the paperclip trick to check the codes. Def. need to move that PMD on the finned heatsink out of the engine bay... With a little money and a few mods the truck can be super reliable.

Kind of sound like it defueled on the hill, maybe a wastegate problem, or a boost sensor.

X3 :iagree:

Where is the truck? maybe I can help you out? Sounds like a smokin deal... half what I paid and mine is nearly the same!

Definatly wastegate involved Mine did the excact same thing when I first bought it. Ran great down the road but "load" the engine and PING check engine light on and no power. Till u shut er off and restart.

OBT:welcome8: But be warned 6.5's are more addicting than crack lol.

Either way.. you have a smokin deal on the hook there.. In my opinion anyway! I'm sure most of us here would agree that that truck most likely has a very minor problem. In the WORST case, it might be $1500 for an injector pump. But, I don't think that's the problem. (really, I don't) I would say maybe try to get a lil better deal for the truck as-is. You won't be dissapointed. These trucks are the most inexpensive, reliable diesel power. Not, to mention easy and relatively cheap to mod for increased reliability or performance, whichever you like. And great on fuel to boot! Welcome to the best community support group for any vehicle!

You guys and gals are all so great , thanks for all the advise ,the truck was taken to a dealer and it was a waste gate wire connection problem apparently, so back out today to test drive it, i even get a new windshield installed also :), it did smoke white grayish for about maybe 3or 4 seconds when i started it last time and cleared up right away and ran smooth. Keep the advise and comments coming i am loving it and thanks to you gals and guys again :)

Cheers
James

You guys and gals are all so great , thanks for all the advise ,the truck was taken to a dealer and it was a waste gate wire connection problem apparently, so back out today to test drive it, i even get a new windshield installed also :), it did smoke white grayish for about maybe 3or 4 seconds when i started it last time and cleared up right away and ran smooth. Keep the advise and comments coming i am loving it and thanks to you gals and guys again :)

Cheers
James

The first thing on your list after purchase is still to get PMD out of engine compartment as it WILL fail where it is now.

Ya Hoooooooooo it all checked out A !! OK and i will be picking it up on Monday, did all the pre checks form the check list here thanks so much for that, the only thing i was a Little concerned about was the white/blue smoke and little bit rough for about maybe 5 seconds or so at start up when cold ,

James

Ya Hoooooooooo it all checked out A !! OK and i will be picking it up on Monday, did all the pre checks form the check list here thanks so much for that, the only thing i was a Little concerned about was the white/blue smoke and little bit rough for about maybe 5 seconds or so at start up when cold ,

James

thats just the nature of the beast, nothin to be greatly concerned about IMO

The first thing on your list after purchase is still to get PMD out of engine compartment as it WILL fail where it is now.

And the second thing should be a fuel pressure gauge. It is the singe most important 6.5 diagnostic tool available.

And then, one of everything from my site...LOL!

No Truck Yet/ Happy customer

Well i am impressed with this dealer i bought the truck from, i think i stole it from them , it was supposed to be all done today, it went thru the shop just something they do to all there vehicles does not matter if they are 1000 or 50000, well i got a new windshield on Sat installed there expense and today i was supposed to go pick it up and a ABS light popped up when the salesman was getting it ready this morning for me and guess what a speed sensor it was and they ordered it in and will be here Wednesday and the new harness for the whastgate problem when i test drove the truck :), above and beyond i think since i payed 3000 bucks for it.

Getting anxious here to cruise on down the road and blow some black smoke in my new/old Chevy truck :coal::

Back