• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New fuel filters, oil change, and trans fluid. Now a code...............

Yachtcare

Recruit
Reaction score
36, pulse width long.

A bit more info. Racor was running a 30 micron element for past year+. Was running a 2 micron before that, with no ill effects other than they clogged a bit quicker.

The only element I could get my hands on locally was a 10 micron(R20T), and of course replaced the FFM filter as well.

After this couldnt get fuel to the FFM to bleed. After screwing around finally found the lift pump had failed. Have had a new HPF95 Cummins lift on the shelf for a couple years so decided it was time to plumb it in. Now I've got pressure to beat the band, but dont have a gauge to tell me exactly how much. IIRC, that pump is rated at 14-18 psi. Fuel pumps through tee handle, and bleed screw on FFM like I've never seen before, and truck runs better than it has in ages.

HOWEVER, while accelerating between approx 30 to 50 mph the SES light stays on constant, light goes away above that with an occasional flicker. Acceleration is excellent, smooth, and better than before, and seemingly ever. Below 30, no light at all. Too much fuel pressure?

I have cleared the code, and the 36 comes back, no other codes. I have always used a generous helping (1qt to 3 pts) of TCW3 2 stroke with each tank full. Didnt have the code prior to the filter change, and couldnt say how long the lift had failed, but it was just the past couple weeks that I'd been getting a stumble on acceleration, prompting me to get into the filters. There was a small amount of snot in the bottom of the Racor filter bowl, no water evident.

Is it safe to try a heavier dose of two stroke to see if it clears it up?, or any other suggestions?

Thanks.

i would lean towards air, do you have clear tubing on the IP return? also some have reported troble with the optic sensor getting stained from 2 stoke oil

Try unplugging PMD harnesses and plugging back in, could be PMD related. I would make sure you dont have more than about 14psi of fuel pressure at the IP inlet, as you really dont want too much pressure there. Or double dose of 2-storke wont cause any problems.

i would lean towards air, do you have clear tubing on the IP return? also some have reported troble with the optic sensor getting stained from 2 stoke oil

Got the air out, at least been driving for a week now. Assuming the air is gone after that much time. Still running well, but. The 36 persists. Codes more often when ac is on.

Fuel batch was same as when changed the filters. New batch and same problem, with a heavier dose of 2 stroke. Tried plugging and unplugging the pmd cable and checking batterycables and grounds. No change.

Is the optic sensor de stained by running without 2 stroke for a while? Or is it toast? That seems the most likely scenario so far.

Actually heavier dose of 2 cycle oil may not be necessary.
This is one of those thing that too much may not be good.
You just have to add it consistently.

Is the optic sensor de stained by running without 2 stroke for a while? Or is it toast? That seems the most likely scenario so far.

I think once you stop using the 2 stroke and start using the "non detergent SAE30," you should be fine.......I don't think the 2 stroke actually "stains" the OS as the blueish purple color changes the "Tint" of the fuel making it hard for the OS to see.

That was my experience when I changed from the 2 stroke to the SAE30, as recommended by Bill Heath.

A single or double dose of 2-stroke isnt going to stain anything, it will hardly tint the gallons of fuel you put it in. Consider a quart of 2-stroke is good for 50 gallons of fuel. I have put a whole quart into 30 gallons of fuel with no issues several times.

You dont have an OS issue, so its not of concern at this point anyway. You have a fuel solenoid issue, so its either fuel solenoid or fuel solenoid driver related.

Back