• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

new filter and mpg very low now

RebelGal

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I managed (on my own) to replace the fuel filter on my 2006 Duramax LBZ. I thought everything went on correctly but now I am seeing 12 mpg when I was getting 17. I don't see any diesel leaks anywhere around the new filter, both O-rings lubed and installed correctly and hand tightened as much as I could (this filter is plastic and I was afraid to crack it). The truck seems fine for running and I don't have any trouble codes. Any ideas what is the cause of lower mpg?

Is that what the DIC is telling you? If so you are best to hand calculate your fuel mileage.

What kind of tire size do you have, body style and any programming done? It helps us to help you if you fill out your signature with your truck's specifics. Mileage wise I'm assuming you are talking about the DIC readout. Run through a tankful or so and do a hand calculation on it to make sure you are getting an accurate base point because the DIC is notoriously inacurate.

Hi Btfarm and thanks for the help. I haven't yet found out how to add a signature and info at the bottom yet. This '06 Duramax is the LBZ HD2500 Crew cab and it doesn't have any mods except for Banks Monster exhaust. I did go up one tire size from stock 245/75/16 to 265/70/16 and that was last year.
I am going by the DIC and this is after I reset it when I was finished with installing the filter. I know the DIC isn't reliable but why it changed so much just at the same time I did this work is a bit funny to me. The only other thing I did was disconnect the battery.

That is only .5% higher so you are about correct from tire to tire. Give it a tankfull or 2 and see where you are.
As far as your signature, go to the Forum Actions tab above, pick 'edit profile' and then 'edit signature' on the next screen.
Take a look around at other members' sigs to get a feel for what info is in there. Keep in mind that some of us are reflecting a part of our personalities in our sigs.
You'll find a place in the profile page for other things like your avatar and some places to put pics in albums.

Look for fuel leaks. The filter heads can crack. The system is usually under suction so leaks are not likely.

New filter giving you new found power that you are *ahem* enjoying?

Back