• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New commercial life for Truck

fbh31118

Cadet
Reaction score
Been without a job for a few weeks now. Friend of mine has been hauling cars with his truck and mentioned it to me as a possiblility for some short term employment.

Here's my question; I know that I need to do a complete fluid change (ie: oil, cooling system, front and rear diff, transfer case, power steering, yada, yada, yada.) I've added a secondary fuel filtering system, Merchant Auto transfer case pump upgrade, replaced the belt, rear end fluid(mobil one 75W90, a squeeky idealer pulley and a driver side wheel bearing.

What other things would you suggest as things to look at or add to my truck, it is bone stock with no performance upgrades or programmers. The truck has had 0 problems since I bought it in the early spring of 2007. I know that I should add some gages for boost and egt but is there anything else that I should consider? What about a power steering cooler? Go back to heavier front and rear end fluid?

Oh, forgot to mention that the truck has 81,000 miles and the injectors were replaced under warranty at 35,000 miles and I plan on pulling a two place, goose neck car hauler (all the truck would be legal for). Any thoughts on this or things to check

Have you looked into commercial insurance and DOT and state laws regarding doing this? Are you planning on staying in Michigan? There are many things to consider if you haven't looked at that part of it yet. I looked into doing that myself about a year ago and the cons outweighed the pros.

If you're not planning on running any kind of tune, I would just drive it and not worry about gauges or anything like that. I wouln't change the fluids to a different weight either. I would recommend switching over to Amsoil if you're doing fluids.

Nick is right about the DOT stuff. If your truck and trailer combination exceeds 10,000 pounds GVWR (WHICH YOU KNOW IT DOES) and you cross state lines while engaged in commerce (making money), then you have to have the same stuff as the big rigs. Big insurance, DOT Number, name on side of truck, Annual Federal Inspection, Traingle Reflectors, Fire Extinguisher, Medical Card, CDL License or proper class license? (depends on combined GVWR), log book if exceeding 100 air miles (some exemptions in place for non-cdl drivers that operate within 150 miles). If the combined gross weight (not GVWR) exceeds 26,000 pounds and you go out of state then you need apportioned plates along with the IFTA fuel permit. Also if you are the company you have to have a random drug testing program in place and the list goes on. If you was to lease your truck on with a company then you can operate under their DOT number but you still have to have a bunch of the other stuff. Just check out the federal Regulations book and you will see what a hassle it can be.

STILL THINK YOU WANT TO BE INTO TRUCKING? I am not trying to discourage you but if you didn't already know some of this stuff then I didn't want you to get a very costly education in another state, beacause trust me I know it happens all the time.

Thanks so much, I'm already up to speed on the regulations and have all of that taken care of at this point.

I am just curious if there were any preventitive maintenance issues that I was missing.

Thanks agian

i'd ditch the stock exhaust and get a set of gauges. i feel more comfortable hauling my gooseneck around with large loads on it knowing i can see how my engine is performing.

Back