• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Codes, Help Plz

Kmitchener

Reaction score
Ok so im still battling this thing, now have 29, 62, 81, 82, and 83, grounds are all good, found and cleaned all of them. Replaced the 2 shift solinoids about a month ago, recently learned i should have replaced everything in the pan while we were in there, truck will not shift out of 2nd gear, nor run at the moment, ECM has lost power once again i have to jump the ECM fuse to get power to even do diagnostic on it

I understand 29 i know its out GP relay, after clearing them 62 is gone and hasnt came back, 81 82 and 83 come right back instantly after starting it

I would assume this truck is a 94 or 95? If it is blowing the ECM fuse there is something shorted out. Very good possibility it's the ECM itself. But to be shure before just throwing parts at it you will have to trace the power supply to the ecm. When my ECM failed on my 95 ld it threw a bunch of codes and the tranny went goofy. I checked every wire going to the ECM with a ohm meter[huge pia] My ECM was a reman that was only 3 months old so I doubted it could be bad. Finally I plugged the old one back in after swapping the chip back in it and everything was fine. No codes. If you know some one who would borrow you their ECM you could try swapping before buying. A junkyard may be a good source . I've picked up several ECM's from the junkyard for $25 each.
I am up against the same tranny dilema as you were. I had plenty of used parts but opted for a kit with everything electric inside the tranny including the wiring harness. There is a thread in the tranny section That I started with a link to a vendor that sells the kits.

thanks yes its a 95, reman ecm, its not blowing the fuse, its like sometimes the fuse isnt even getting power, i can jump a hot to the ecm fuse and it comes on..

The ignition switches in the 95+ trucks are problematic and expensive not to mention a pia to put in. I had just replaced the ignition switch on the same 95 ld and then the "multi-function" switch[wipers ,dimmer,cruise and signals/4ways] went bad. [$170] I went to the local junkyard and bought a whole column for $75 including the air bag. The ignition switch is well over $100. Easier to swap a whole column than just the switch. A gasser column is the same.

When your ECM went out and your tranny went goofy, what did it do exactly? mine is just stuck in limp mode, 2nd gear only, sparatic at first but then got worse untill it was always stuck in 2nd gear

This is somewhat a repeat thread. A continuation of one which advice was given. If you have ignition switch problem the tranny needs power from it too. Make sure there is power to the Trans fuse so it can shift.

When your ECM went out and your tranny went goofy, what did it do exactly? mine is just stuck in limp mode, 2nd gear only, sparatic at first but then got worse untill it was always stuck in 2nd gear

It shifted up real fast and then down searching. it would be in overdrive and lockup at 15 mph. It had 6 or more codes all at once.
If the tranny looses power it goes to 2nd gear only, full hydraulic pressure.

Back