• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Cat Skid Steers.

durallymax

Reaction score
The Cat salesman started putting the pressure on us last summer about buying one of their skid steers. Us as well as others in the area never even considered them, always figured they were too expensive and the dealer was on the other side of town. Most farmers just bought what the tractor dealerships had to offer (NH,Case,Bobcat,Gehl and some Deere). We had always ran NH since day one, started with a L555 Deluxe, then a 675B Deere which was similar just with a different engine, then added an LS180 and then an LS170. Added two more LS170s over the years and got rid of the LS180 and L555. Bought a New L220 last fall after some miscommunication and being in a rush. The Cat guy showed up with the quote but dad had bought the L220. The Cat turned out to be the better deal but we had the L220 already.

We run skid steers hard. We wrecked everything we could on that LS180. The boom was in terrible shape, side to side movement smacked the cab, the cylinders had all been repacked numerous times as well. We used it for feeding back then and facing the bunkers with the bucket, which is why it was so beat up. We replaced it with an IT14F Cat. That's where dad's sour spot with this CAT dealer came from, we only had a cheap old loader that we didn't buy from them so we didn't mean much. We traded that one on an L60E Volvo and couldn't be more happier yet to this day. It will probably be updated in the next few years as well.

One LS170 we have 9600hrs on currently. Its a 2001 model. We put the first 9000 on in only 3-4 years. It gets about 3-5hrs per week average now. The 675B has 6,000hrs on it, it also only gets a couple hours a week. Those two skids sit at other farms where we just have animals and they simply move feed around and clean yards. The other two LS170s had 3200hrs and 5800hrs on them. They were all good machines for what we did. The booms were enough maintenance but not too bad we didn't think. Ag use isn't as hydraulically demanding as construction use, but the manure and untrained operators will ruin the skids fast.

We actually know this salesman family well as they used to work at the Volvo dealer and sold us that loader. He would check up on us and see how the L220 was doing, and make sure everything was going good. There were a lot of perks along the way and I've always been the type of person to scream BS even more when perks are involved, but the guy knew the machines very well especially considering he just started working there. Anything he didn't know he would find somebody that did, not make something up, or say "ill get back to you". The machines seemed very nice, we demo'd one last summer and were impressed with it. After touring their plant I was impressing with their quality and commitment. Since he was a straight shooter and selling good products, the added perks were a nice touch. It's something that doesn't exist much anymore. A salesman coming out to the farm to sell and discuss equipment? Rarely happens anymore unless they are selling junk or need a quick buck.

We were impressed with the machines and the service at this point especially considering we owned nothing from them and bought the other brand during our last purchase that they were competing on. The Bobcat machines also seemed nice but the dealer is very arrogant in our area and wouldn't let us demo one, yet later on tells other people they will let any serious buyer demo one, guess we weren't serious enough.

After awhile we priced a multi unit deal. The deal turned out to be good so we got them. We traded the two newer LS170s and the new L220 on two new 242B3s and one snow lease return 262C. One of our employees also put his 70XT Case in on the deal and traded that for a new 246C. We wouldve kept the L220 a little while longer so we didnt have to take the big depreciation hit, but the snow return 262c was a very good deal and we wanted all of our main skids to have the same control pattern.

The 242B3s have cab,heat,power attach, self level, 2 speed and regular suspension seats. The 262C has 200hrs on it and has a cab with heat,a/c,radio, cloth air ride seat and poly door. Self level, power attach, ride control, 2 speed, creeper gear, AMICS (lets you adjust sensitivity of controls and speed limit for creeper)

All are very nice machines and the employees are doing okay with the switch to ISO pattern controls versus hand/foot.

242B3s are rated at 74hp and 2150lb lift, the 262C is rated at 84hp and 2700lb lift.

Didn't get a picture of them all lined up and clean as they all disappeared right away, ill have to get one later, but did get one on the trailer.

2012-04-03_13-33-06_438.jpg

Basically the same thing you described Vinny happened here in RI. Construction companies were going through all the other brands in just a few years, basically killing the machines. They bought CAT skid steers a couple of years ago, and they have stood up very well. Still going strong today. They are very nice machines.

We didn't really have many complaints about reliability with the new Holland's. Never really felt they broke down too much from normal wear. Most of the repairs were caused by the operators. Crashing into things and not waiting for glow plugs causing excess cranking on the starter. Or the excessive cranking when a fuel pump would go bad.

Well see though, these may hold up even better, they are much nicer to run.

They are pushing them a lot around here and selling a lot if them. It helps that their prices are as good or better than the competition.

Nice units. A good friend is service manager at an Elgin, il NH dealer. He told me he is very impressed with how the Cats are made.

They really feel like solid machines. One of the things they told us to do was to put the boom at cab level and shake the machine. Our new L220 had alot of movement. Our older more worn out ones would hit the cab. The CATs don't flinch. There's a lot of iron in these things. Sat in the 262c yesterday with a broom for a few hours. Our radio isn't in yet for it so it was pretty quiet and lonely. Its quiet enough to talk on the phone all day in which is both good and bad.

Those look like nice units Vinny. I know how hard cattle operations are on loader tractors/skid steers, so I hope these hold up well. Our hired man's son manages the parts operation at the Ziegler Cat dealer in Mankato MN, so I'm interested in how these hold up. ;)

So far they're all running well without issues. Weekly maintenance is very easy and they stay clean around the service areas. They clean up easily and quickly with the pressure washer which has helped make it easier to wash them every week or so before service.

They went for a good month with no scratches. Everybody was scared to put the first one in them I think. They all only have a few rear door hits but everything is still in perfect alignment.

The 262c is a Cadillac. The cab really does seal up tight and stays clean. Its easy to keep clean too. First rime we've ever thought about keeping a skid Steer cab clean. The ride is very nice as is the visibility and ingress/egress.

However the Electro hydraulic controls. Aren't received well by everybody here. If all we had were eh controls I think wed be fine. But going from the 242s with pilots to the 262 with eh is kind of a mess. The pilots are fairly instantaneous. Feedback is minimal but you still can feel where you are. The EH controls are dead. The faster you move the stick the slower it reacts. The further you throw the stick, the slower it reacts. Small smooth motions give you a more connected feel. If you start throwing then around in panic mode it won't respond. They have an update they are supposed to.be installing to help fix this some.

Otherwise they are all running perfect for now.

Safe bet you aren't the only ones complaining about the dead feel of EH controls when all everybody has ever operated for years is pilot operated spool valves.

I know were not the only ones. Everybody said that they take some getting used to. They all said when the c series cat skids came out in 07 they were terrible, but they had fixed that now. Well see what the update does.

Ergonomically they are nice. A little stiffer but being mounted in the armrest and moving with the seat is nice. Plus the customization ability with them is there as software advances.

Well see how the update works out.

Gotta get back to fixing the other skid steers now. Old LS170 had the pipe between the plates get ripped in half and I need to weld new sleeves in the boom for where the pins for the plate seat. 675b has a hydraulic leak I guess that's getting bad. And I've got my fiance dads old owatonna mustang 342 in the shop too for a drive chain issue. The 5575 Deere still sits dead in the shed with a bad drive plate. Never seems to end haha.

Traded the 262C back in august for a 2013 262C2. The 262C we had was used when we got it, had a little over 600hrs on it when we traded it. The reason we traded was due to the offer the dealer made us. We had some guys that wanted the pattern changer and the skid was going to need tires before too long. The warranty only had a couple months left as well. So we got a new skid which they were offerening free pattern changers in, new tires, 2 more years of warranty all for on very low price. Only differences between the series 2 and the earlier on is a couple little things like red emergency handles, and a lower power rating to get under the 75hp cutoff for that emissions category. Doesn't seem to have any less power though. The controls are a little more responsive in it as well.

2012-08-23_21-35-05_955.jpg

Over the weekend on of the guys stabbed the bale spears through the two front tires of the 262C2. Of course it was the skid with the newest tires. They were ruined beyond repair. We were thinking about Michelin Tweels for the Barn 242B3 as it will need tires this spring. I just ordered a set for the 262C2 which should be here before end of next week. If you haven't seen these things they are pretty neat, they came out with them awhile ago and use them for some military vehicles but just release them for Skid Steers last fall. Its the first production run of the technology. They look like they should work well, and being designed and built by Michelin, I have a lot of faith in them.

www.michelintweel.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRKWlhTGO6M

Do not work for our application. Tracked skid steers are for excavation work. They are expensive, high maintenance and have poor resale. They are a "buy it only if you need it" type of machine. They do not work well for cleaning pens or many of our other tasks compared to wheeled ones either.

Nice Vinny! Good luck with the new CAT. How are the Michelin's as far as cost go compared to the regular replacement tires?

Do not work for our application. Tracked skid steers are for excavation work. They are expensive, high maintenance and have poor resale. They are a "buy it only if you need it" type of machine. They do not work well for cleaning pens or many of our other tasks compared to wheeled ones either.

they also make tracks that wrap around the wheels too right?

that way if you ever really need it I guess you could get a set...

I'm looking into renting a true tracked one for a weekend to spread a a few big loads of fill around my house, since Haji decided to go all Jihad on my lawn...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice Vinny! Good luck with the new CAT. How are the Michelin's as far as cost go compared to the regular replacement tires?

Michelin tires are more money across the board in general. However they generally do give you your money's worth. We use them on pretty much everything now except the pickups. Their light truck tires wear like iron and ride nice, but suck off road. Their excavator tires, ag tires and commercial truck tires are thought very highly of in the industries. Their car tires are very nice as well. We have a National Fleet Account with Michelin which helps with pricing as well. Very good customer service from them as well.

You can't directly compare the cost of the Tweel yet. Do not know how long they will last and hold up. In addition "regular "replacement tires is a broad category. For Virgin Firestones last I checked they were nearing $300 each. Michelins Virgin Radials (the only one for SSL's) were between 400-500. Cheaper recap tires can get down under $200. Solid and Flexible solid tires range from $500-$800 per tire. The Michelin Tweels were just under 1k each. However they can be recapped when worn out for a couple hundred dollars or so. Cost of recapping them is not known exactly yet.

they also make tracks that wrap around the wheels too right?

that way if you ever really need it I guess you could get a set...

I'm looking into renting a true tracked one for a weekend to spread a a few big loads of fill around my house, since Haji decided to go all Jihad on my lawn...

Yes they do, they are rough on lawns though.

A tracked machine would be best for spreading fill. The MTL Cats or ASV's are very nice for lawns because they are very gentle versus the steel undercarraiges of the CTL's.

The barn 242B3 has over 800hrs on it now and is holding up very well. Only issues it has had was a plugged fuel tank and line due to the workers leaving the fuel cap off. Cleaned everything out and put new cap on and the next day they did the same thing. I have a cable holding it to the machine now. Their 2 speed is also disabled now too which has been helping. They have smashed the bolts out that hold the lower lift cylinder pins in place, I built gaurds around them now. Otherwise it has held up to their abuse very well.

The feeding 242B3 has been trouble free as it nears 700hrs. The front wiper arm has been smashed 2 times on it now. I suspect its from guys moving bales and getting too close or something.

The original 262 we ended up putting 400hrs on (600hrs total on the machine). We did not have any issues other than a software update to try and firm up the controls. The new 262C2 has just under 500hrs on it now, it has been problem free as well except for when one of the workers decided to turn one of the release handles for the front door. We did smash the wiper off this machine during the blizzard in december, however the replacement arm was $20.

Both of the 242B3's did have issues with the Poly front windows. For some reason they would keep falling out. The first two fell out after the rip code misteriously fell out. They did it on the same day. The other times they fell out for different reasons that I couldn't figure out. CAT was good about it and adressed the issue by installing glass windows for us instead. Haven't had any issues since, but the glass ones are glued in place so I wouldn't expect any issues.

I picked up our set of Tweel's today for our Cat 262C2 Skid Steer.

We have had too many headaches with pneumatic tires due to punctures. Whether its a simple or large one, it happens too often. The turning point on this machine was when one of the workers stabbed the bale spears through the front two tires which still had over 75% tread.

We knew solid/solid flex type tires were not the answer either due to their rough ride and poor impact resistance. We have too many instances where they ram into a stub wall or curb.

I stumbled across the Tweel and thought it would maybe be the perfect fit. i had many doubts, but it seems to be proving me wrong.

I just got them on today so short of just playing with them I don't have much feedback. The one thing I really was curious on was their supposed resistance to "hopping/dancing" when turning with the skid steer. They really do eliminate this, all the way up from 0-12mph turning on a complete dime it didn't hop or skid nor did it do it on fast cornering either. The ride is interesting to describe. You can tell you are not riding on pnuematics as it is a slightly firmer ride, but nowhere near a solid tire ride. The large open spaced tread blocks may contribute to some of the ride qualities. The more you load the Tweel's up, the better they seem to ride though. So far traction seems excellent even on ice. Hopefully these do end up working out. They are a big upfront investement but are retreadable.

Heres a picture of ours followed by a video from Michelin.

20130213_165255_zps1195e710.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRKWlhTGO6M

Back