• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Needing tire advise for dually

3500 dually

Reaction score
Okay guys needing to get some tires for my 2005 dually. I have been running 235/85/16 tires on the last three sets. Have not had any rubbing issue with anything i have haul. I am looking at putting a little wider tire on like a 265/75/16 tire. Will i have a rubbing issue and need to go with a 1.5" spacer and if so what is a good name brand of spacer to go with? Let me throw this out here, has anyone use a Falken tire? Any advise is much appreciated.
The tire i have been running were cooper htp, have had pretty good luck with them but want to try something little more aggressive but not a mud terrain. If anyone a has a pic of there ride with 265/75/16 lets check it out. pls.
Thanks
David

DSC_0013.jpg

here's one with 265/75/16 on this forum:
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-non-powertrain/353032-rear-tire-size-dually.html
285/75/16's:
464970d1451651923t-285-75-16-bfg-ts-2002-dually-imageuploadedbyag-free1451651922.533327.jpg

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-tire-wheel/1874802-285-75-16-bfg-ts-2002-dually.html

Aggressive for what specific reason? Narrow tires cut through the slush and snow to get traction. Wider tires float. The more you stick out past the fenders the more you fling in the air to cover everything. Wider tires eat more fuel.

Wider tires on dry pavement have more grip for getting going or stopping as long as they have enough weight to use the entire contact patch. I run as optionally wide as I can without leaving the standard listings. Wider than that starts to change suspension geometry and add more load via the lever effect to already short lived suspension wear items. YMMV.

If you are delivering off road in mud Good Luck! (Snapping axles etc.) You do need a tire suited for that.

This said I find the more aggressive treads melt away significantly faster costing me more $$ off the bottom line. So I look for the words "Commercial Use" in the tires I buy.

Falken - If you are going down that road I suggest Toyo tires instead. We tossed lots of them off our parts delivery trailer and they were heavy vs. other tires. Good rep for holding up well from other haulers using them and also delivering parts from our broker back in the day. For hauling I suggest Open Country C/T "On-/Off-Road Commercial Grade Tire"
https://www.toyotires.com/open-country-tires

Personally I like Cooper Tires specifically the older edition SRM Radial II now renamed as the Discoverer HT3. They wear even without the usual corner feathering.

One last thought for tire life hauling: Look at 19.5" commercial tires for increased safety and longer life. Replacing LT, light truck, (IMO light duty) tires 2x a year at 30-50K per set gets old.

Cooper ST Maxx is a commercial on off road tire.

The HT3 didn't like offroad, I chewed chunks off running them up front and got a death wobble. Not the tires fault, they weren't made for climbing bolders.

Have a set of Cooper discoverer at3's on my truck in 235/85/16
It's a 94 F350. Can't say I've had a problem with them.
Front ones wore funny because I was lazy with changing my ball joints.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

if you need float on the front and not the rear, any thoughts on running 265/75s on front and 235/85s on back?

Both are roughly the same height, or at least close enough for any road except dry pavement.

love the info guys appreciate the good advise and pics, i think I'm going to stay with the cooper tires. instead of the htp's i may go with the at3's.
thank you..

Back