• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Needed mods are so bitter sweet

JeffsJeep04

Reaction score
Well, looks like I'm getting a new crossover pipe! Mine just blew through on the drivers side on the way home from work. It had started leaking a little yesterday and I looked around, it sounded like a cracked manifold. It looked good, so I figured no big deal, I'd deal with it later. Well, today it got VERY loud. Crawled under the truck when I got home with the flashlight and got blasted with exhaust fumes. 'Bout a 1/4" wide gap right around the flange.

I looked around a little, was just about set on the aluminized one from SS diesel, but then saw one on ebay (I know, I know). For $63, it comes with a mandrel bent crossover, new flanges, a stud kit, and new donut gaskets. It's 2.5" rather then 2.25", time will tell if that's an issue or not.

my crossover is 2.5". i did have to wrestle with it a bit, but mostly trying to hold the flange, gasket, and get the nuts on the studs without the gasket moving. i got mine from warpspeed performance.

Worst part is that in addition to sounding like pure ass, I have no boost. Looks like I'll be driving a slug for a few days ):h

Are the valves sensitive to lack of back pressure on these, or should I be fine for the couple days it takes to get here?

EDIT: Do I need to change my avatar? :D

hahaha you have probly about 30% of your turbo effectiveness, so it technically is turbo power... tho it'll feel more like turbo weakness!!!! hahaha its really annoying, i drove 300 miles with mine like it was... i wanted to kill myself.

just be careful. without boost your EGTs will go through the roof. :eek:

Could you temp fix with muffler tape our a coke can and two c clamps? Atleast till your new parts come in.

just be careful. without boost your EGTs will go through the roof. :eek:

That's absolutely correct, but one might be surprised at what you can still do without the temp's getting crazy - if you do as suggested above.

Case in point: I lost an intercooler coupling while towing my boat (10,000lbs). My boost gauge read zero, but I was able to get along on the highway and through town until I got to a place to replace the hose. Now, yes, I have an 18:1 engine, so I'm sure that helped - but I was still towing a big weight.

It actually surprised me that I was able to do as much as I did without high temps. I suppose the ECM reflash also helped.

That's absolutely correct, but one might be surprised at what you can still do without the temp's getting crazy - if you do as suggested above.

Case in point: I lost an intercooler coupling while towing my boat (10,000lbs). My boost gauge read zero, but I was able to get along on the highway and through town until I got to a place to replace the hose. Now, yes, I have an 18:1 engine, so I'm sure that helped - but I was still towing a big weight.

It actually surprised me that I was able to do as much as I did without high temps. I suppose the ECM reflash also helped.
Yeah, driving to work and back doesn't have me worried, it's more of an annoyance issue having a truck that can hardly climb a hill and is loud as all getout.

10k lbs for boat.......Jeeze, what's it take to be your friend for the weekend?:thumbsup: thats a hell of a boat.

10k lbs for boat.......Jeeze, what's it take to be your friend for the weekend?:thumbsup: thats a hell of a boat.
A gas card?

):h

A gas card?

):h

I don't often "LOL", but you got me on that one! :D

I always thought my Burb was a big vehicle... And don't ask how much that fill-up was. All I'll say it was towards the end of this summer, about 40 gallons went in the Burb, and about 80 into the boat.

picture.php
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Well...an update. I crawled under the truck a week ago to tackle it and after about 15 minutes of looking...I said no way. All the bolts had rusted to round heads and the passenger side looked like a HUGE PITA to get to. I have a good friend who owns a garage and does great work (they do quite a bit of medium/HD stuff, so diesels are no foreign territory). He came and got the truck today and is going to do the pipe, the rear brakes, and possibly the front.

It's a hard pill to swallow. I've never had any of my vehicles in the shop for anything. I used to be a mechanic, and am ASE certified, so I never ran into a job I couldn't tackle. Between driving to and from work and being at work, I'm gone 12 hours a day. Now being married and having a 6 month old...priorities have shifted I guess. Feels weird not doing the work myself, but I know he's much more setup to do it then I am laying on my back in the shed and does top notch work.

Guess I'm growing up *sniffle*

Between driving to and from work and being at work, I'm gone 12 hours a day. Now being married and having a 6 month old...priorities have shifted I guess.

I completely understand. It's gets to a point where it's not whether or not you can do it, but whether or not you realistically have the time to do it. It's sort of like how much is your time worth to you?

Although, on the flip side, there might be times when it is well worth your time - and sanity - to relax a little bit and go work on the truck. Any of you with kids; I'm sure you can understand! I love the little brats (oops, I mean angels!) - but it's good to take a break once in a while.:smile5:

Oh, depending on how badly the bolts are rusted in the manifolds, it might be easier to drill them out and just use through bolts with nuts. The nuts don't always fit easily because of the way the back side of the manifold flange is cast, but it can usually be done. Just a thought.

Well, it all went on today. He said it wasn't too much trouble, so that's good. Guess having the right tools makes all the difference. Can't wait to drive my re-turbo'd, newly quiet truck!

On the upside, turns out he's intimately familiar with the 6.5 trucks. He was asking me if the IP and lift pump had been replaced and if the PMD had been relocated yet. I told him it had all been done in the last year but they didn't relocate the PMD. Then he asked if the waste gate solenoid had been dealt with yet, and I told him I had a turbo master and he chuckled and said "good move". ):h

Back