• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need some transmission help!

Freddy Fudrucker

Reaction score
Ok so I lost 2nd on a pretty long tow. My load was just a hot tub and I have a two axle 16' trailer. I went and bought a new "rebuilt" monster trans. That took me from the stock 4l60e to a 4l65e. I was really excited to get this thing in and runnin! Now a smaller problem is my steering box. I cant turn left with assistance cause I simply lost power steering only with left hand turns. My thought was fix that after I fix the trans. So I get the trans installed. Ran fine for a few (10-15 miles) miles. It then started slipping in 2nd to 3rd to the point 2nd became close to a neutral. Quickly progressed to not shifting out of first at all. Have reverse, N, 1. If in drive it runs in first till it gets away from itself. Meaning first is engaged but if i am going down a hill or just faster than 1st gear it will coast faster until the speed gets down to what 1st gear rpms will drive it. Almost like after the 1st gear rpm it coasts as if in neutral. If i have it in1st gear it will stay with the rpm like it should. Only in manual gear. I tried to reset the pcm no codes were ever given from day 1. I do not have a tech 2 but do have a code reader. Nothing ever came up. I reset it manully by letting it drain power while battery is disconnected. I tried the harnes looking for shorts. I tried resetting by hitting the gas while in acc. Then turning it off and back on. I have tried everything I could possibly find. Fuses, sensors, everything! I am at my wits end! I believe its electric because 1 time I got it to reset and it was relearning but only for a short trip and it went back. Not even 7-8 miles. I dont know how to make my next move. Could someone please help?!?!

Your 1st problem is it's s monster trans. NEVER EVER EVER buy from monster. You really need a scan tool of some sort to see vehicle speed, desired gear, actual gear, pressure switch feedback, and so forth. With an all electronically controlled trans it is bear impossible to diagnose one without seeing what is going on, and being able to command it to do things so you can test the electrical and hydraulic sides.

And I doubt they gave you a 4l65e. The only differences between a 4l60e and 4l65e are 7 instead of 6 3-4 clutches, 5 pinion planetary gears, and a hardened input shaft. Most places put in an aftermarket 8 clutch 3-4 pack and call it a 4l65e without also doing the planets and the induction hardened shaft. Then again, the 5 pinion planets have there downfalls as well.

As to your steering problem, that is most likely your power steering pump.

Last edited:
Your 1st problem is it's s monster trans. NEVER EVER EVER buy from monster. You really need a scan tool of some sort to see vehicle speed, desired gear, actual gear, pressure switch feedback, and so forth. With an all electronically controlled trans it is bear impossible to diagnose one without seeing what is going on, and being able to command it to do things so you can test the electrical and hydraulic sides.

And I doubt they gave you a 4l65e. The only differences between a 4l60e and 4l65e are 7 instead of 6 3-4 clutches, 5 pinion planetary gears, and a hardened input shaft. Most places put in an aftermarket 8 clutch 3-4 pack and call it a 4l65e without also doing the planets and the induction hardened shaft. Then again, the 5 pinion planets have there downfalls as well.

As to your steering problem, that is most likely your power steering pump.
Yeah figured I was screwed!!

Back