• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need some opinions on the price of a rebuilt 6.5

DZZ71

"Living The 6.5 Dream"
Reaction score
I have had a couple local guys asking if i could sell them a rebuilt engine. I have acess to a couple cores to redo. Im just wondering what a fair price would be? I would use what i could from the core thats still in good working condition. pistons,rods, cam,maybe crank ect. Im just wondering if its worth my time and the money invested to do the built. What would i get out of it? Thanks....

I'm going to say it wouldnt be worth your time and materials for less than $2300, assuming we are talking total rebuild with all new bearings, seals, gaskets, decking, ect.. and doesnt need bored cylinders and new pistons. A take out could be less, but never know what the inside looks like. Military take outs or what look like new rebuilds are starting to go for over $2000 wholesale.

Look what diesel depot does and what they charge. Many different levels of rebuild.

Personally with the experience I have on the 6.2/6.5 I would not touch one for less than $3000

I would use as much of the original as possible, insert the outer main bolt holes.

Check it for any deck issues, rings bearings etc and a fresh set of clearwater heads.

Fresh/rebuilt squirts and if the sucker need an IP then the $$$$$$$ head north at warp speed.

These engines can eat your lunch if not done absolutely right. (ask me how I know this)

These is not room for error on these suckers.

You can build mice and rats (350/454) all day long and make $$$$$ hand over fist. The 6.2/6.5 are a breed all their own with issues that must be carefully addressed.

Good luck

Missy

I don't know if it would be worth it unless you can do a time & material thing. If you wound up making $3.00 an hour when it was done because you had to go deep into the block machining/rod resizing/crank regrind/etc then you would regret making the commitment. I built a bunch of mild performance SBC motors (400-450 HP) years ago for street and sportsman type dirt racing. Obviously there was no guarantee but when one guy over revved on the track and put a valve through a piston he demanded a free rebuilt replacement. I said no way and he made such a stink that everbody else got the idea that I wasn't good and I was dishonest. That, as they say, was the end of that! I still built a few motors for close friends after that but I wouldn't do it for a stranger any more. Especially a "friend of a friend"... they're the worst.

Have them help you build the engine. That way when the missed crack pours coolant in the oil and has to be towed back home they share the guilt. Or you drop a valve or suck up a rag or god knows what failure happens that takes the engine out...

Gonna be your fault.

Lift pump dies - bad engine will have to be troubleshot first by you...

But if it is a project even if you supervise than it can go well.

If I was going to build a 6.5 for somebody the only way I would do it is with a New scat crankshaft ($400) or a new peninsular forged crank ($950) . Otherwise no matter how good a job you do on the rebuild- an old used crankshaft may break the day after the guy installs the motor and then hes gonna come looking for you.

If I was going to build a 6.5 for somebody the only way I would do it is with a New scat crankshaft ($400) or a new peninsular forged crank ($950) . Otherwise no matter how good a job you do on the rebuild- an old used crankshaft may break the day after the guy installs the motor and then hes gonna come looking for you.

funny that you say that i just rebuilt my motor with a used crank and it broke less that 1000mi down the road

Back