• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need some insight installing a rear wiper motor assembly

Tinker

Reaction score
I had to replace the rear window in my Suburban.

It was due, as the defrost was pretty much T/U, but I hastened its demise last weekend by smashing it with a rock so I could get into the locked truck after a backcountry canoe trip.

Now I'm re-installing the rear wiper motor assembly and I can't figure out how to detach the post/cap which should fit through the lower R hole in the rear glass. Surely it comes apart; there's a bolt on the inside of the housing that mounts the motor to the plastic and to the window. The bold head and the plastic cap both turn independently; but they just keep spinning. I'm reluctant to try prying since all the plastic is a bit brittle. Anyone had to do this? I've attached a picture for context.

IMG_20210522_210224[1].jpg

I was able to take the housing off and remove the bushing/stud assembly from the plastic mounting plate. I've included pictures below. The flange nut is machined to take a 7mm wrench at the base and is supposed to be held in place by a rectangular ABS collar on the mounting plate. The black cap is just plastic fused over the nut and is worthless for grasping. I had to cut open the mounting plate to get the shaft out and then I could get a wrench on it properly and disassemble it. Far from a good design; this one must have been handed off to a 3rd year engineering intern.
IMG_20210523_163010[1].jpgIMG_20210523_163025[1].jpg

Back