• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need some advice on two wheels...

So are sport bikes easier to ride than cruisers?
They are lighter and easier to man handle. I personally don't like them but they will def be a lot easier to learn on. I'm not talking about something like a GSXR where you can scratch behind your ear with your knee while riding.

They are lighter and easier to man handle. I personally don't like them but they will def be a lot easier to learn on. I'm not talking about something like a GSXR where you can scratch behind your ear with your knee while riding.

Gsxr is a sportbike, same goes for the CBR Honda, R1/6 Yamaha, and the XR or whatever it is for the Kawasaki's..A bike with fairings, but is more upright, i.e. the Ninja 500/250 would be a sport tourer (sp)

They are easier to handle, in the right hands, but not a new rider.

Do you have any experience? Do yourself a favor and find a used XL650 or KLR650 and find some dirt trails. Hone your skills in the dirt for a few months, dirt hurts a little less than asphalt. After that, take a motorcycle safety course. Start riding with a friend that has a few years under his belt. Pay attention to everything around you at all times. After you are comfortable riding the enduro, upgrade to whatever you feel you can handle. Learning good riding habits and mastering your bikes functions can make the difference between a nice ride, or a nice ride in an ambulance.

My thoughts exactly...

Well, I appreciate all the comments. And will apologize upfront for not making a comment on each one of them. I don't want to appear as a post whore.

I am not sure that there is anywhere to ride on dirt around here, or at least I don't know anyone that owns land to allow me to make my mistakes "softer." Albeit, I do agree with the idea, especially looking back at the time that I was learning how to ride a bicycle. In fact I learned on an old Huffy BMX, and then moved up to the 10 speed racing around the neighborhood. Road rash sucks to the tenth power above a few bumps and bruises.

don't get a bike with a full fairing - it will likely get dropped and it's expensive to replace - you're not going to get much for a grand, closer to 2 grand for a decent bike. I just sold my old 1990 ZX7 for $2000 and it needed tires but was otherwise in good condition. A mid 80s 750 Honda or Suzuki GS would be good choices if you can find a nice one - might be close to your price range. I had a 79 GS 750 Suzuki years ago and it was a comfortable sporty bike.

don't get a bike with a full fairing - it will likely get dropped and it's expensive to replace - you're not going to get much for a grand, closer to 2 grand for a decent bike. I just sold my old 1990 ZX7 for $2000 and it needed tires but was otherwise in good condition. A mid 80s 750 Honda or Suzuki GS would be good choices if you can find a nice one - might be close to your price range. I had a 79 GS 750 Suzuki years ago and it was a comfortable sporty bike.

And I will assume chrome pieces as well. I know that it's not a matter if I lay it down, but when.

Chrome pieces are actually a lot cheaper - and you may not have to replace them anyway - they are less likely to have get noticable scratches.

Well folks, I appreciate all the advice. But as everything else, the situation has changed. Some of you may be aware that DHL is no longer going to be operating air service CONUS. As such, my wife's job is in limbo, as they use them as their primary delivery service.

Long story, short. I am not going to put our family out anymore, by taking out a loan for a new bike. And we are cutting way back to weather the potentially brewing storm on the horizon.

I do appreciate all of your folks advice, and maybe sometime in the future I can use what you have offered me. But for the time being, I hope that you all understand that I have more than MPG's on my mind.

Back