• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need some advice on two wheels...

db9938

stick'n it to the man
Reaction score
I am 36 years old, and I am looking to buy my first bike. I know nothing of the various brands, but I am sure as with anything, there are some models to steer clear of.

My goal, being as safe as I can, and to stay below $1000. So basically I am looking for a beater, non-HD. It's not that I am against HD, it's just I am a realist, and finding something for under $1k is just not realistic. I am also considering that the bike would be powerful enough to move the bike and my 250lb, 5' 10" butt out of the way of oncoming traffic.

I know that bikes are rated by their displacement, could a smaller bike suit my needs, or am I asking for the impossible?

I know that looking at the various mfg's that my price range is approaching the entry level of many of them, should I bypass a used bike for a new one?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I guess you need to figure out what style of bike you want. I would recomend something in 600-750cc range. If you are new to riding, I wouldn't go and but 1000+ crotch rocket.

1k will be hard to hit. You might be able to find a decent bike from the mid to late 80s at that price, but woh.

Boost it up to 2k and you can easily find a Suzuki GS500, Kawi Ninja 250 or 500, or a Honda Nighthawk, then you'll have a nice and reliable bike that will do anything you want it to do.

pretty hard to find a beater out there and be safe with it, a Ninja 500 would do you ok for a starter bike, even a 650 would be good. Hard to find used ones and I would just get a new one with a warranty, Honda makes a decent 600 twin I think...could be wrong, but what Rttoys mentioned is sound advice and remember atgatt...no exceptions.

Do you have any experience? Do yourself a favor and find a used XL650 or KLR650 and find some dirt trails. Hone your skills in the dirt for a few months, dirt hurts a little less than asphalt. After that, take a motorcycle safety course. Start riding with a friend that has a few years under his belt. Pay attention to everything around you at all times. After you are comfortable riding the enduro, upgrade to whatever you feel you can handle. Learning good riding habits and mastering your bikes functions can make the difference between a nice ride, or a nice ride in an ambulance.

I guess you need to figure out what style of bike you want. I would recomend something in 600-750cc range. If you are new to riding, I wouldn't go and but 1000+ crotch rocket.

Good point, I more into the comfort mode of life so a cruiser is probably what I am looking for.

Guys I really do appreciate the advice. I am just at a point where if I can park the truck a few more days a week for something that uses a little less fuel every trip to work, then all the better. That's why in part I was trying to go with the most inexpensive means to come to this end. With a new bike, I am kind of defeating the whole intent with having a payment. I suppose that I have some more number crunching to do to find out the threshold of returns.

Thanks again guys, and keep the suggestions coming. I am all ears.

Last edited:
Good point, I more into the comfort mode of life so a cruiser is probably what I am looking for.

Guys I really do appreciate the advice. I am just at a point where if I can park the truck a few more days a week for something that uses a little less fuel every trip to work, then all the better. That's why in part I was trying to go with the most inexpensive means to come to this end. With a new bike, I am kind of defeating the whole intent with having a payment. I suppose that I have some more number crunching to do to find out the threshold of returns.

Thanks again guys, and keep the suggestions coming. I am all ears.
Even so, find a nice cheap bike that's easy to ride to start with. You want to be able to get some experience riding something that's really easy to ride first. That ninja 500 that someone suggested is probably a pretty good choice. I've never owned one, but I rode someone else's for ****s and giggles. It's light, small, and completely sackless. Perfect!!! (For a starter.) You could still get yourself into trouble with it, so be careful. Oh and I'm 6'1" and 250lbs so it will still move you around.

Even so, find a nice cheap bike that's easy to ride to start with. You want to be able to get some experience riding something that's really easy to ride first. That ninja 500 that someone suggested is probably a pretty good choice. I've never owned one, but I rode someone else's for ****s and giggles. It's light, small, and completely sackless. Perfect!!! (For a starter.) You could still get yourself into trouble with it, so be careful. Oh and I'm 6'1" and 250lbs so it will still move you around.

So are sport bikes easier to ride than cruisers?

First thing I would do if I were you, if you haven't already, is take the MSF course, imho is a must for new riders. Then look for older GS500's ect. 1k won't buy you much, might have to chip in another 1k to get a decent bike..read Safe bike. Also, at your weight a ninja 250 would be a bit small, especially if your comuting longer distances. Another good bike would be an older Suzuki SV 650 twin. Braking down 10 miles from home is crappy weather isn't much fun..trust me, I know..Find a Good MC tech to check out the bike you wanna buy if possible.

Last bit of advice, when you ride, ride Defensivly, like everyone is out to hit you..and use lots of common sense. Good luck in your search..

First thing I would do if I were you, if you haven't already, is take the MSF course, imho is a must for new riders. Then look for older GS500's ect. 1k won't buy you much, might have to chip in another 1k to get a decent bike..read Safe bike. Also, at your weight a ninja 250 would be a bit small, especially if your comuting longer distances. Another good bike would be an older Suzuki SV 650 twin. Braking down 10 miles from home is crappy weather isn't much fun..trust me, I know..Find a Good MC tech to check out the bike you wanna buy if possible.

Last bit of advice, when you ride, ride Defensivly, like everyone is out to hit you..and use lots of common sense. Good luck in your search..

I am definitely taking the MSF course. I have already looked into the where's and when's of that.

Insofar as chipping in the other $1k, I am slowly realizing that is more of a necessity, than an option. And yet at this point, with some of the financing deals that the mfg's are making, it brings the payment within one take full of #2 range.

I am definitely taking the MSF course. I have already looked into the where's and when's of that.

Insofar as chipping in the other $1k, I am slowly realizing that is more of a necessity, than an option. And yet at this point, with some of the financing deals that the mfg's are making, it brings the payment within one take full of #2 range.

My Son is looking at getting a bike to reduce his fuel cost's..he found that it's easier, and sometimes cheaper to get a new bike, i.e. finance charges, and monthy payments. He too is a new street rider, he ridin dirt, but none of that experience applies, when push comes to shove on the street. So he's looking at the Suzuki SV 650, and the Husky SM510 (supermoto) type bike.

Glad to hear your already lookin at the MSF course, will teach you alot if you get a good instructor. BTW, I've ridin since 1964..Be careful out there.

So are sport bikes easier to ride than cruisers?

Depends on what you are doing with it. Easier?? well, they turn easier, brake easier, accellerate easier....but they are more compact, leaned over, and put a lot of pressure on your wrists. I used my sportbike as a daily driver for 2 years, no big deal, but it would of been more comfortable on a standerd (like a Suzuki SV650).

When we say the Ninja 250 or 500, they hold the Ninja name and have all the plastic, but they sit more upright like a standerd. They are very different from the Ninja 600, two totaly different animals.

You are going to have to go and sit on bikes to figure out what you like. I like sport and standerd bikes. I like my feet under me, not in front of me, I like the lighter more nimble bikes.

In your price range, you'll need to check out:
Suzuki SV650, Bandit 600, GS500, Murador
Kawi Ninja 250, 500, Vulcan
Yamaha Seca II
Honda Nighhawk, Shadow 600

My Son is looking at getting a bike to reduce his fuel cost's..he found that it's easier, and sometimes cheaper to get a new bike, i.e. finance charges, and monthy payments. He too is a new street rider, he ridin dirt, but none of that experience applies, when push comes to shove on the street. So he's looking at the Suzuki SV 650, and the Husky SM510 (supermoto) type bike.

Glad to hear your already lookin at the MSF course, will teach you alot if you get a good instructor. BTW, I've ridin since 1964..Be careful out there.

I disagree. Dirtbikes tend to react a lot quicker that streetbikes. I have found that most of the best street riders I know started out on dirtbikes. Once you learn to react instantaneously to changing conditions, it's far easier to concentrate on traffic.

I think that I am beginning to understand that finding not only the right type of bike, but the right bike, is kind of like find a pair of shoes. They may appeal to your eye, but your not about to walk out the door until you try them on.

There is a Kaw/Yam/KTM dealer that is about a 20 miles from the house, and a smaller Suzuki dealer a few more miles down the road.

So far the Yam V Star is really catching my eye, especially for the price.

I disagree. Dirtbikes tend to react a lot quicker that streetbikes. I have found that most of the best street riders I know started out on dirtbikes. Once you learn to react instantaneously to changing conditions, it's far easier to concentrate on traffic.

I think it depends on what kinda dirt riding you've done..i.e. slow single track imho isn't going to prepare you for the adversity on the streets, i.e. cars cuttin you off, or forcing you to alter your course ect..

Also, braking on a street bike is totally different than on dirt, as is steering, I would agree that it does help with your reacting quickly. So when ever I advise a new street rider on what to do, which bike to get, even though they have ridin in the dirt, I tend to minimize that experience.

When you can be comfy sliding a street bike at 70 mph in a turn, not target fixate, and stay Calm during a stressful situation, then I'd consider a person to be a skillfull street rider, aside from having street savy.

I should have stated earlier, that if you for example race MX, enduro's, then yes I totally agree Berk..

I think that I am beginning to understand that finding not only the right type of bike, but the right bike, is kind of like find a pair of shoes. They may appeal to your eye, but your not about to walk out the door until you try them on.

There is a Kaw/Yam/KTM dealer that is about a 20 miles from the house, and a smaller Suzuki dealer a few more miles down the road.

So far the Yam V Star is really catching my eye, especially for the price.

Best case is to ride the bike your interested in, wosrt case is to at least sit on it..take a friend, so he can balance/ stabalize it so you can put Both feet on the pegs, at least that way you can tell if it will be comfy for you.

Most dealers won't let you test ride, at least not here in cali.

Back