• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need input on a 5ver

radar1053

Recruit
Reaction score
My wife and I finally have agreed to look at a 5th wheel. I have had my popup since 1989 and want to get something nicer. We have found a couple 06 Jayco 28 ft trailers that will work. I have been researching for a couple yrs and have decided on a couple of them that would work behind the Duramax. Found these on line, one in Minnisota and one in Utah. Both are the same model, almost identical in what is on them. The one in Utah is 1000 higher but is also almost 9 hours closer in drive time as well. The prices are from 21995 to 22995. I could go up after work and be back missing maybe one day at the most but I have vacation to cover me anyway. So a day drive in not a big deal verses probably 4 to Minn and back

Please give me some input on what I really need to look at, and anything you can think of.
I plan on a Reese 16K slider because I have the short box and a local hithc guy has a used one for $1200 installed or I can have brand new for $1500.

Thoughts and input please.
Thanks in advance everyone

Jayco makes some nice 5er's.

As far as the drive goes, think about if you ever need service and having to return to the dealer, how far would you want to go?
They'll tell you that local dealers (if any) will do the work but that is B.S.....they only want to service what they sell. To save a few dollars may cost in the long run for a major repair. (time off from work and travel expenses)

I think the hitch prices are high. For around $1000, you can install a bigger hitch yourself. I already had the rails and bought a 18K round tube slider from Tweetys.com for ~$800. They have used slider hitches in sales papers aound here for ~$350 all of the time.

The trailer is at a Camping World dealer and there is another Camping World/ Jayco dealer just down the road abut 20 miles away as well here where I live. I will keep looking for a hitch as well.

Trailer

If it just you and your partner look for something that you
can comfortably spend a couple of rainy days in. Comfort
is key when sitting down. Two hours on our couch and my
back is killing me, the other choice is our dinette booth only
good for a short time their also.
I would really recommend something with two easy chairs.
We have grandchildren but the number of times they have
been with us is few and far between so sleeping space for
others is not a priority.

Back