• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need help

Ajdooley

Reaction score
I got me a 1994 GMC Sierra 1500 6.5 turbo diesel....... I'm having some issues has problems with shifting and claiming hills...... white smoke witch means fuel issue but I've changed the fuel filter, the fuel pressure lifter, injectors and fuel pump in tank......... It has the 4180e transmission..... I went to get kit for transmission but they gave me the one for a 2500 would it still work for my truck........ I would really appreciate some input on how to fix my issues....... The guy I got it from said it's had a new motor put in so I'm trying to figure out what's the problem...... BTW if this helps I have to take foot off gas pedal to shift gears.

Welcome to TTS!

Am with WW on both codes and possible coolant. Search on how to pull codes using a paper clip so that we can get a better picture of what the truck is complaining about.

4L80E is in the 2500 truck too.

If you changed out the sending unit in the tank then there is a very good chance the sock on the bottom of the sending unit is giving you fuel problems if you didn’t swap the new sock for the old one. Or you could delete the sock and add a pre filter under the cab

Welcome to TTS!

Am with WW on both codes and possible coolant. Search on how to pull codes using a paper clip so that we can get a better picture of what the truck is complaining about.

4L80E is in the 2500 truck too.
I have 9 codes

32: egr circuit error, 33: egr circuit pressure/ baro sensor circuit high, 41: brake switch circuit fault, 44: egr pulse width error, 53: system voltage high, 63: accelerator pedal position 3 circuit high, 78: turbo wastegate solenoid fault, and 85: undefined ratio error.... I didn't put 29 bc I know y on that one

The vacuum pump is located at the bottom left hand side of the engine. The wires to the wastegate solenoid should still be plugged in even if the vacuum pump isn’t there to keep from throwing a code.

I agree with Pruittx2 take apart and clean all the grounds first. Dirty grounds on these trucks do crazy things to them. Don’t forget about the ground on the injection pump

Along with all the other advice, if You have not done so already, disconnect the battery negative cables for about a minute then hook them back up, after that, take the truck for a drive and see what codes pop up.

Is the EGR system still intact, even though the vac pump is gone? If so, need to delete that crap, I "think" but dont know, that the EGR valve needs vac to hold shut, so if there is no vac its always sucking exhaust.

Advice: Stay calm, dont get stressed, sounds like the previous owner did some cobbling. Hopefully you'll get it figured out without too much hassle and she'll be good to go in no time.

As far as the lift pump, did you make sure its actually running while the engine is? If not, definitely check that. The OPS (oil pressure switch) can prevent the LP from running when its bad.

Good luck!

Back