• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

need help

dusty

Reaction score
hey my truck was outside and it was plugged in but i didn't no it wasn't getting power to the blockheater bout 14 hrs. when i got back needles to say it didn't start. today i went back got power to the motor charged the batteries hooked another truck to boost it started once 4 bout 5sec. put some meltdown in the fuel changed fuel filters and added meltdown to the filter housing i have fuel to the filter but it won't start it tried a couple of times but no go it is plugged in 4 the nite and a trickle charge on the batteries thanks in advance 4 any help

Do the battery bolt mod, make sure all your power and grounds are removed, wire brushed and re-attached well.

Telling us the temperature of failed start would help.

Does having it pluggeed in normally help?

At what temperature does it start to have problems starting?

Space out your answers so its easier to read. You'll get more responses probably.

Is it smoking during the hard start? Raw Fuel?

Cranking fast?

hey my truck was outside and it was plugged in but i didn't no it wasn't getting power to the blockheater bout 14 hrs. when i got back needles to say it didn't start. today i went back got power to the motor charged the batteries hooked another truck to boost it started once 4 bout 5sec. put some meltdown in the fuel changed fuel filters and added meltdown to the filter housing i have fuel to the filter but it won't start it tried a couple of times but no go it is plugged in 4 the nite and a trickle charge on the batteries thanks in advance 4 any help

I had the same problem yesterday, I did the meltdown as well and got it to run for another 10 seconds and decided to push it in the shop. After 10 minutes it was running. Having it plugged in might do it, or a heat lamp under the hood might help, it's supposed to warm up tomorrow.

For everyone else it's about -30*C to -35*C here in central Alberta.

Grab a hair dryer (don't tell the wife!!), unhook the accordion hose that goes from the air cleaner to the plenum, put in the hair dryer.

Let it run for 5-10 minutes, glow the truck and start it.

Remove hair dryer, let it warm up.

So says Jifaire, veteran of -40*C starts.

(**PS - Method also endorsed by FyshGuide - Banff . Try it - you'll like it)

I had the same problem yesterday, I did the meltdown as well and got it to run for another 10 seconds and decided to push it in the shop. After 10 minutes it was running. Having it plugged in might do it, or a heat lamp under the hood might help, it's supposed to warm up tomorrow.

For everyone else it's about -30*C to -35*C here in central Alberta.

Hey Leo ... froze the brass ones, yet? It was -44*C with the windchill this morning... brrr.

When you hear that "clink-clink" sound, you know you're in trouble.

brass_monkey_freeze_indicator1.jpg

lol

Jim, do you remember the comedian Dave Broadfoot? He held up a pair of brass balls and said these just fell off a brass monkey.

ok, can't resist :D Get a gasser. I went out, turned the key and it started right up. Not plugged in, -10F this morning for me.

LOL @ TroutTrooper... smart-Alice. Hey, is that a white-tail's poopshute in your avatar?

@ AK - yep:
1974198519_6f34331c93.jpg

I'm serious, guys ... the hair-dryer start method never fails. ChrisK1500 was looking into putting an old 12v air warmer off an old tractor into his plenum, just because it works.

Of course, you feel like an idiot, outside in the -40 with your wife's pink hairdryer, starting your truck. All the smart-alecs with the gassers :)D) laugh at ya.

Until it Starts and fogs out the neighborhood :) Gotta love diesels!

The big gulp of warm air works. Done it many times on diesel powered welders and on my olds diesel when the frost plug heater died.

Buy a heating gun from Harbor Freight. They have them for about 10 bux, and it cranks out low and high, high being like 1200df low being like 600. Too hot to do the hand test. :)

I often forget this is the BEST thing to try before starting fluid aids. Must be the reason I bought the heating gun.

the glow plugs have about the same cycle i have 5/40 syn oil in it and when its in the garage not heated it always starts as 4 the gas motor will it
last 400000 mmmmmmmmmmm don't think so. mine only has 200000k on it thanks for the heat gun idea only prob. my daughter borrowed it so i guess it will be the hair dryer

Wonder how a grid heater off a Cummins would work. Can be had cheap on ebay usually. The Cummins guys toss them for more airflow. Never heard of the hairdryer trick but I like it.

well guys problem is solved we checked the glow plugs 3 out of 4 on drivers side failed mechanic said rule of thumb is 3 failures and u change all 8 did so and it fired right up lucky 4 me i have a chevy. mechanic to do my work thanks again

Back