• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need Help with a starter problem

EricinAK

Reaction score
My truck (94 Chevy K2500 Turbo Diesel 6.5) will crank any time the negitive cable is connected to the battery (With the positive connected), even if the key is not in the truck. It just started, I tried to trace the wire from the Junction box on the firewall on the passanger side to the starter and it looked Ok. I then made sure the wire was not tuching the other wires, and made sure the starter was grounded.

I do not know why the truck would (Hot wire) start itself when the battery is connected? If you have any Ideas let me know.

Thinks,
Eric:mad2:

:iagree: Does the Switch feel funny? Try unpluging switch and hooking up bat again, if it stops then BINGO! Get a new one. Cheap at auto parts stores.
Hey, do you know Sahra?

new sol or new starter,you better of to buy the starter.

The old solenoids could be taken apart and cleaned up ,the new ones are soldered together.
dont know what style you have.

pull all the small wires off and if the starter still runs when you put juice to the big wire then you know it's selenoid

Check the RELAY underhood fuse box.

Mine was bad and it wouldn't crank at all, I can imagine it sticking open perhaps. Swap it with the A/C one and see if it stops. Can't hurt to try.

Back