• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need help with a noise

radrick

Recruit
Reaction score
I have a loud diesel type noise that showed up about two weeks ago. It only happens at low idle and it sounds like a really loud diesel. It is loud enough that I have to shut the truck off at drive up windows. I has only changed slightly in the two weeks it started to change slightly if I turn the steering all the way to the stop and I hear a noise or two after i turn off the key as the engine stops. These led me to believe that is was one of the accessory on the front of the engine. I also did a search and it sounds like the common issues are the vac pump and the crank pulley. Well I pulled the belt off this morning and the noise is gone but the vac pump and all other accessory seem fine. The crank pulley on the other hand is pretty strange. I can rotate the crank pulley about 3/8" and it feels rubbery but then about the time the you can't turn it any more against the rubber it hits something that seems solid. It is hard to tell as the resistance is pretty high at that point. I am thinking that it is bouncing off the solid stop each time the engine fires and making the diesel rattle noise.
here is the issue. I am doing this on Friday because I just got my hours cut so money is going to become short. What are my options for fixing this? can I just replace the pulley? Where are the fastest and least expensive places to get decent parts to repair this? I would apreciate any and all feed back. I am planning on keeping the truck and it is my only vihicle so I need to depend on it. Thanks in advance for the help.

Yes you need a new crank pulley, I think Dorman is the brand you want.

I would definately say your crank pully is shot. There should not be any rotation in it. There are a few on e-bay. Or try boneyards if you cant find a new one, but I am sure someone here can find you a good one..

$62.19 and the part number is Dorman 594-037. You may not be able to get it for that price I believe that is equal to employee price as the owner of the store is my brother in laws life long best friend. it is listed as a harmonic damper pulley not a crank pulley.

Uh, check them both, radrick... these beasties have a harmonic balancer and a dampened pulley, iirc.

It makes no sense to have it all apart and only fix half the issue...

Do I have to pull the harmonic damper to change the pulley? I really shouldn't be spending any money right now with the job issues so I will probably have to stick to the pulley unless the damper is clearly bad. How do I best check the damper?

The pulley is bolted to the damper with 4 bolts. The damper has one large nut that is in the center, it screw onto the crank. Visually check the rubber on the damper for cracks, grab it and try to flex it. It should be tight.

Do I have to pull the harmonic damper to change the pulley? I really shouldn't be spending any money right now with the job issues so I will probably have to stick to the pulley unless the damper is clearly bad. How do I best check the damper?

No, the belt pulley is bolted on and you pry it off, the damper is a press fit and you'll need a puller and an installer if you replace it. Chances are, its probably worn or marginal at best, its cheaper and easier to replace than your engine. Think of the damper as a wheel, then put some weight on the wheel in the wrong place, this is what your engine will be doing with a bad damper, :eek:

Just look at it. If it's tight and the rubber isn't coming ot of it just change the pulley. That's what I did on my 2000. Balancer was fine. Just the pulley was bad. However if the balancer looks shot Change it or that noise you hear will be gettin alot louder for a short time.

FYI. I am following up because I get frustrated with all the post with no follow up when I am searching.
I drove the truck to town to get the pulley but it made a bit more noise after having the belt off and back on. That or I was just that worried.:queasy: I pulled it apart Sunday morning, the old pulley had the hub completely separate from the rubber and the four cast spokes were the only thing making it work. I installed the new one. I pulled the top of the shroud and fan off to get to it. The damper looked good the rubber was even and in place with no cracks. It now runs substantially smoother then it has since I bought it. And I considered it to be the smoothest diesel I had ever driven. Anyway thanks to you guys all is well for now and it wasn't to painful. Thanks again.

See pix and writeup in my photo album. It's a easy fix. I got my dampener pulley and HB from Napa - don't remember the exact cost but the pulley was around $70.00 and the HB was around $90.00. If you're real tight on cash just do the pulley but make sure you don't forget about the HB, and get it done as soon as possible.

Smitty

Last edited:
Back