• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

NEED HELP FAST!!!

Deere Freek

Recruit
Reaction score
Well... got you to look at the thread anyway.....

My climate control in the truck is having issues. It wont change from floor to defrost to vents, it's stuck on floor/vents and it makes it miserable to drive in, especially 600 miles of 95* weather. What do i have to tear apart or dig into to fix the problem? is it vacuum or electric controlled?

fast input would be greatly appreciated because i'm going on a 700 mile run from Michigan to Nebraska tomorrow.

Thats a bummer.....hummm. Have to think about that one. Mine got kind of slow to change over as it got older now that I think about it.

Should be electrically operated (the only vacuum is the original turbo controller).

From the driver's side, look at the duct work on the floor at the center "hump". My 1999 has a little servo type motor with 2 screws (I think) and a wire connector.

My wife has the truck right now so I cannot go look at it.

That might be what is wrong with yours. I don't know for sure.

Todd

Should be electrically operated (the only vacuum is the original turbo controller).

From the driver's side, look at the duct work on the floor at the center "hump". My 1999 has a little servo type motor with 2 screws (I think) and a wire connector.

My wife has the truck right now so I cannot go look at it.

That might be what is wrong with yours. I don't know for sure.

Todd

Try kicking the airbox. Mine sticks once inawhile also have the fan on lowest setting when switching. The controller/servo motor thingy is on drivers side by tranny hump. Sometimes the clip breaks and the rod falls off otherwsie motor may have died. They should have never gotten rid of the cables This system sucks .Even the ones I drive at work suck.

Try kicking the airbox. Mine sticks once inawhile also have the fan on lowest setting when switching. The controller/servo motor thingy is on drivers side by tranny hump. Sometimes the clip breaks and the rod falls off otherwsie motor may have died. They should have never gotten rid of the cables This system sucks .Even the ones I drive at work suck.

Dont kick too hard :nono:
The plastic becomes very brittle over time from cycling heat and cool. Ill post a pic sometime tonight of what mine looks like. Wrapped in duct tape to cover the shoe hole in it from the previous owner. Sucks, and i dont think its an easy part to replace....

The control board tends to go out. Had to replace mine.

There is a diagnostic test in the helm manual to determine if electric motor or control. If I get a chance later I will paraphrase it after a review.

You can pop off the front trim of dash on my dash and access the control board not too hard I did it.

With the key on engine off,blower off, Listen to hear actuater motor switching as you switch the control. check all fuses.

yes, and i can change from heat to cold but not the floor to defrost to vent. takes forever to feel cool with it stuck on floor. Where should i start tearing into it?

I have heard that is usually the controller head that goes bad and causes that. My 95 was doing that and I removed the controller and looked at it and reinstalled the same one and it started working, I guess it had a bad connection or its intermittent. I looked some and rock auto had the new control heads available.

i would bet it's a pencil,lighter or some other thing that was put on the dash at some point and fell into the defrost vent and got the damper jammed.....

Of course, I have this problem too. Anybody got a photo of the "control head" or the "controller?" I can hear the actuator moving, but then, nothing changes.

I can't even hear the actuator moving. I"m gonna just tear into it here soon, sick of sweating in my truck for 15 minutes before the floor vent air makes it to me.

Hers is a fix that says it works for 96 thru 99 years, at one point in the writeup it says 95 but later in the writeup it says it doesn't apply to 95. Since my truck is a 95 I haven't tried this mod yet but might try it before I go buy a new control head. I noticed that yours is a 2000 so I don't know about yours either but thought I would post the link in case it will help someone else with the same problem on a 96 thru 99. http://flashoffroad.com/Maintenance/hvac/imageHVACprob/gmc_ctrlhead.pdf

Back