• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

need help and ideas! lb7 oil pressure amd temp

Nick 6.5

Reaction score
So I'm doing a dmax swap and had my harness sent out and converted to stand alone. My.question is does anyone know how or where I can tap into the water temp and oil pressure to run my factory 96 gauges? For water temp can I run an older style sensor Off a 454 pr something? And I'd like to stay away from mechanical oil pressure gauge if possible. Any input would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks guys

I currently use the stock 01-02 DURAMAX adapter with a 6.5L OPS installed to work the oil pressure gauge and ru nthe relay for my lift pump. If you have an 03+ engine, it uses an oil pressure sensor that can be removed, install the earlier 01-02 adapter, and install one of the earlier style oil pressure sending units. Either that, or use one of the pipe plugs in the oil cooler housing to install one of the earlier senders. As to temp, I have mine currently installed in a T in the heater hose coming out of the t-stat housing going to the heater cores. I plan on changing this soon as I want to install a heater control valve in mine to make the A/C colder when towing heavy. Some have put it in the plate on the passenger side of the rear block housing, but I'm not to keen as this will be reading coolant temp of the coolant after just the oil cooler has heated it. I'm going to look and see if I can find a spot to tap in the t-stat housing to put it up there.

It was out of an 02 Silverado I don't have the vin or engine code right now. Do you by anychance have any pics of how you oil pressure sensor is set up? I'm slightly confused with the adapter portion.

01-02 used a regular old body style oil pressure sender mounted on the front lower drivers side of the block with a 1 wire plug to it. Just hook the wire from the trucks oil pressure circuit to it, and it will work fine. It wasn't until 03 they changed, and it is easy to tell because they moved the oil pressure sensor back to the mid way point of the block.

For an update to this I found a MUCh better olution to the temp gauge problem. GM used a combination coolant temp sensor/temp sender for many cars i nthe 90's. It uses a 3 wire plug like there late model TPS uses as well as many pressure sensors. The sensor/sender combo part # is 10096181 and the connector is 12102748. The DORMAN brand connector is MUCH cheaper, or you can get a pigtail off of most nay late model GM TPS plug from a junkyard and splice it in. The 2 pins at teh top are for the CTS, and the bottom one is for your gauge. I'm ordering one to put in mine so I can add in a heater control valve to help my A/C out.

Tps.. throttle position sensor?? What's cts? Sorry I'm not too good with acronyms
Yes, TPS is throttle position sensor and CTS is coolant temp sensor. The combo sensor sender I referenced uses the same plug as a late model GM TPS uses. I'm waiting to get an order togetehr and put one in mine now to verify it works 100%, but it is a common part used for swapping in LT1/4 engines.

For an update to this I found a MUCh better olution to the temp gauge problem. GM used a combination coolant temp sensor/temp sender for many cars i nthe 90's. It uses a 3 wire plug like there late model TPS uses as well as many pressure sensors. The sensor/sender combo part # is 10096181 and the connector is 12102748. The DORMAN brand connector is MUCH cheaper, or you can get a pigtail off of most nay late model GM TPS plug from a junkyard and splice it in. The 2 pins at teh top are for the CTS, and the bottom one is for your gauge. I'm ordering one to put in mine so I can add in a heater control valve to help my A/C out.
Ok, the 3 wire CTS I referenced does work. The temp gauge reads about a needles width lower than the stock sender, but it does work.

Back