• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need eletrical help please!

john65td

Addicted to boost
Reaction score
I have spent the past half hour looking at schemitics on all data and have gotten no where. i lenghtened the leads to my alternator and when i plug it in the battery light on the ip turns on. the fuel gauge and coolant gauge read way off the charts. i did tap into the pink fuel solinoid wire in the 15 pin connector at back of engine for a hot with ingition on for the fuel solinoid and that made all the warning lights come on so i undid that. i regrounged the grounds on the right rear of the engine block maybe its not a suffecent ground? and for the four whel drive connector the flat 4 pin gray connector i have lost the male end its not in the harness like all data said. im not sure if its because im exhausted or what but i'm missing something here thanks for the help

Battery light means alternator connected and not spinning or charging. May be wire shorted to ground - will still turn on light.

Fuel gauge pegged is an open circuit to the sensor and then ground. So bad ground or cut wire. Possible connector come loose?

Temp gauge sensor is just below alt on cyl head for my 1993. It also pegs when 'open' or disconected.

I think you'll be better off tapping off a lead in the engine bay fuse box, especially using something like add-a-circuit, http://partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=071-580

It will allow you to add a FUSED power lead in a proper manner, WITHOUT damaging the original fuse socket like a lot of other adapters. I also think it is a lot better than hunting around for a hot lead. It's not like the old days - these new computer-controlled beasts are sensitive to tapping into sensor wires, etc.

I've used a few of them. They work well.

-Rob :)

I'm sorry guys i was exteremely tired when i posted this last night. the problem is my battery light is on constant. does not matter if key is on or off. the only time it will turn off is if i remove the plug a the back of the alternator. the glow plug light will also do the same intermittenly. i started going over the whole harness untaping it all no breaks found yet. another intersiting thing i was going throught the under hood fuse block with a test light and when i test the fuel solnoid fuse its a 20 amp the test light is very dim and my interior lights come on. yea i can't figure that one out either. i'm not sure if my ingition switch craped out or what is going on there

There is a ground point on the back to the passenger side of the fuel filter. Check that one? Also check all the grounds and the electrical cables.

TurbineDoc post about ground have the pics of it.

Back