• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

need computer help bad

stacks04

McLovin
Reaction score
last night i got hit with something. it did something to my superanti spyware as it no longer works, keeps popping up with error reports to send to windows, the malaware bytes wont work. i tried removing the super and it did, but wont let me download it again. it wont let me down load spybot search and destroy either. i tried to do a system restore to the last restore point and no luck. it wont let me. i was able to download adaware which i am doing now but not sure where to go from here. everything seems to be working fine in the computer though:nonod:. any help would be great.

There are some viruses/bugs that block programs from running, block you from getting to certain websites, etc. Sounds like you got one.

The free versions of Superantispyware and MalwareBytes are non-resident.. that means they only operate as a scanner, when you tell them to. This makes both of them vulnerable to said viruses, because they aren't actually running at the time of the infection.

Try going to www.housecall.antivirus.com and running an online scan with TrendMicro.

adaware removed something that allows my google searchs to work again. still cant download the super though. trend micro is scanning now. we'll see what it comes up with.

okay trend micro turned up a few things, but not the one that is affecting me still. it wont let me do anything here as far as finding and killing it. i guess a clean sweep of my hard drive is in order now. not sure what else to do here. and not sure even how to do it. i am backing up all my inportant docs now, music and efi tunes. hopefully they were not infected so when i reload them.... any help would be great now.

try running panda active scan online...

also if you restart your PC in safe mode and run your normal installed virus scanning software it should catch it...don't forget to update your anti-virus definitions first...

Did you get Malware bytes to install? If so, and it doesn't start, go find the executable (By default, it's in C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware) and rename it something, anything other than MBAM. It'll probably start. Also, go look in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc. open the "Hosts" file with notepad. There are probablt host entries preventing you from getting to sites such as malwarebytes, symantec, etc, as well as possibly an entry redirecting google. remove everything from the hosts file. Also check IE in "Internet Options", "Connections", "LAN Settings". See if "Use a Proxy Server for your LAN" is checked. If it is, uncheck it. You should now be able to update Malware Bytes and download Super AntiSpyware. If SAS won't install, rename the installer file to something else and try to install it. So far, I haven't seen anything that we (myself and the guys I work with) couldn't get rid of with MalwareBytes and/or Super Anti-Spyware.

hey Stacks.. if Pepp's suggestion doesn't work, try this:

http://www.techmixer.com/kaspersky-rescue-disk-load-kaspersky-antivirus-2009-using-dos/

OR

http://support.kaspersky.com/kav6mp2/rescue?qid=193239066

You can build yourself a Linux-based rescue disk that will clean your system and should get you going again.

Any ide what caused it? Did your scans give you a name for the culprit?

Jim
ahhh Kapersky...that's the other one I couldn't remember...and actually better than Panda AFAIC...

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Jim (two thumbs up)

Spybot Search and Destroy works very well too. If it finds something it can't clean it'll ask for a reboot to clean it.
I cleaned my daughters rig just last week with Malwarebytes and Spybot.

i ended up doing an emergency recovery f11 option on the dos startup screen. it wiped the hard drive clean except a few pdf files for some reason. i was able to down load the super and i am going to do the malaware in a few. what ever the virus was it was blocking access to certain url's. even if i google searched for instance "getting rid of a computer virus" it would block every single google result and redirect me to something completely differant. i checked the conflicker check site to see iof i had it and it said no.

i do have a question though, i have saved all my efi tunes, music and pics to a zip drive. how can i be sure they are all clean so i can put them back in???

i do have a question though, i have saved all my efi tunes, music and pics to a zip drive. how can i be sure they are all clean so i can put them back in???

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anyway to scan them without hooking the drive to the computer. Before you connect it though, I'd do a scan on your PC to make sure everything is clean, then disconnect your network cable (or disable your wi-fi card if you are wireless) to isolate your PC from the internet, and then connect the zip drive and run a scan on it.

not sure how to run a scan on one. i never used one until yesterday. i looked in the super anti spyware and malware but they dont offer a scan of the usb drive.

okay i got the super anti spyware to check it. it does do it for the record. now i have a new problem. i have reloaded alot of what was on the zip drive, not sure what my memory was before the problem, but i am low on "disc space" now. it says i have 49 gig of crap. i know i was no where near this before. what gives???

Did your emergency recovery option copy your original windows install to c:\windows.old\ ? Some recovery programs will do that so you can copy files out of your personal files after recovery. If so, you can go through Windows.old and delete things you don't need.

under my computer, c drive it lists 3 back up sections. 2 were from the very beginning when norton was screwing up the system and one from yesterday. i tried to delete the old ones and it doesnt delete them. that would free up about 10 gig.

Once again I will suggest this - Spybot Search and Destroy...it also has a feature called Tea Timer. This monitors any attempt to alter the registry. Very important if you have anything that could try to reinfect. It quite possibly could have prevented this from happening.
It's free, try it.

i will. going to get it as soon as i get my efi live strightened out. priority now just in case i have a truck problem.

Back