• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need batteries....

I had one of these in my Tahoe, left the lights on I don't know how many times I unplugged the evil dinger box). Interstate MTP-78 It would start without hesitation in 0 degrees or less. 1000 CA, 800 CCA. I have had excellent experiences with Interstate batteries.

I've got one in my Duramax now as the primary, the secondary is the OEM AC Delco.:thumbsup:

just my experience, but back before I learned my lesson and started buying quality, I had my share of bad luck with Wally World and AutoZone batteries. Course, that was with little cheapo car batteries, certainly not the top of the line units they sell. I bought a Walmart cheap small car battery and had to keep replacing it because the turd wouldn't hold a charge on a car that only got driven a couple times a month. COuldn't find a drain, changed to an Interstate and it worked fine. Free replacement is little comfort when the car won't start.
WHen I was towing I'd have to go out and do jumpstarts a lot, never fail I'd open the hood and see one of the cheap red label Walmart batteries. Got to where we all referred to them as "Neverstarts".
Lastly, it is VERY important to have a matched pair on a two battery system. I've even heard you should check the date codes on the battery to get them from the same batch (I did). I believe this to be true because I replaced one of my original AC Delcos with a used ACDelco that was good but only 800 as opposed to 900 in the other battery. Ended up toasting both of them in a couple months. So if you've got a non matching pair under there, get them matched up right away.

Well the Autozone batteries are all charged and wow what a diffrence, Cranks much faster now!! Only clean thing under my hood lol, have to clean it out one of these days....

Got in my truck to drive to work last night, realized my lights were wicked dim. I keep my dashlights real low so I have better night vision, so I didn't even notice until I got onto a really dark road. Looked at the voltage gauge and it was down under two, into the red. Shut the lights off and on, messed with some electrical things in the cab, nothing. Got to work and popped the hood. Felt all the battery connections by hand, nothing felt really loose. Couldn't hear if the alternator was working, but probably couldn't anyway with all the diesel racket. Had nothing handy, so I tried rapping on the case with my little buck knife. Didn't see any difference in the headlights, however when I got back in the truck the gauge was up on 14. Drove it acouple more times since then and it's still fine.
Wonder what's in store for me this year? Alternator is a heavy duty Napa unit, maybe 3 years old, maybe less. Batteries might be two years old. Not much mileage on either of them, maybe 15k. Think the first thing I'll check is the battery connections with a wrench, then find someone who can test the alternator.

Got in my truck to drive to work last night, realized my lights were wicked dim. I keep my dashlights real low so I have better night vision, so I didn't even notice until I got onto a really dark road. Looked at the voltage gauge and it was down under two, into the red. Shut the lights off and on, messed with some electrical things in the cab, nothing. Got to work and popped the hood. Felt all the battery connections by hand, nothing felt really loose. Couldn't hear if the alternator was working, but probably couldn't anyway with all the diesel racket. Had nothing handy, so I tried rapping on the case with my little buck knife. Didn't see any difference in the headlights, however when I got back in the truck the gauge was up on 14. Drove it acouple more times since then and it's still fine.
Wonder what's in store for me this year? Alternator is a heavy duty Napa unit, maybe 3 years old, maybe less. Batteries might be two years old. Not much mileage on either of them, maybe 15k. Think the first thing I'll check is the battery connections with a wrench, then find someone who can test the alternator.

I had that exact problem, sometimes it would read low voltage and other times it'd be at 14, Replaced the alternator and same problem... all my connections were tight but there was a little corosion on the pass side ''+'' terminal, got it cleaned up, no problems anymore.

I had that exact problem, sometimes it would read low voltage and other times it'd be at 14, Replaced the alternator and same problem... all my connections were tight but there was a little corosion on the pass side ''+'' terminal, got it cleaned up, no problems anymore.

Then that's what I'll check first. Thanks.

I imagine they had a vent because when i brought them in they leaked on the counter. They had me rub my hands in soda ash because of it, (doesn't feel good at all in a fresh cut)

Back