• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Mystery Switch Time

Cumminalong

Doghouse Diesel Performance
Reaction score
Well I finally found the switch I want and the perfect spot for it.

Gonna do the install tommorrow..........and yes, there will be a DIY.

For those that are wondering, it's used to be able to manually lock the torque converter whenever you want. What it does is grounds the circuit to the TC which forces it to lock.

What this allows you to do is use the maximum amount of engine breaking while going down grades and it prevents the tranny front downshifting when you don't want it to. The main use I have for it is putting the truck on the dyno and making sure that it doesn't drop out of 3rd gear during the pull.

The switch is a normally off / momentary on, spring loaded push button.

I'm also going to rig a small LED up on the a-pillar that lights up when the button is activated.

Here's the switch and part numbers.....
Slide1-3.jpg

Here's the spot it's going to go. The only part you will see is the round, silver base and the button itself. You won't see the lock ring or anything below it.....
Slide2-3.jpg

All I have to do is lift a finger and push the button to lock the TC.....
Slide3-3.jpg

Just so I understand you, the switch has to be held down to keep the convertor locked? I'm asking because like you said if your were traveling downhill with a trailer, who would want to have to hold the button down? Or does it click and stay down, push it again and it returns?

No, the button I'm using is momentary only. If I release it, the TC unlocks.

My main purpose for it is racing and dynos.

If you want it for towing, it would be better to have a normal on/off toggle switch so you don't have to hold it down.

The good thing about this setup is that you can't forget about it being locked and stall the truck.

The down side is that I have to hold it down.

If you are going to install an on/off toggle type switch, it's a good idea to run a small LED somewhere that is easily visible so you don't forget that the TC is locked.

No, the button I'm using is momentary only. If I release it, the TC unlocks.

My main purpose for it is racing and dynos.

If you want it for towing, it would be better to have a normal on/off toggle switch so you don't have to hold it down.

The good thing about this setup is that you can't forget about it being locked and stall the truck.

The down side is that I have to hold it down.

If you are going to install an on/off toggle type switch, it's a good idea to run a small LED somewhere that is easily visible so you don't forget that the TC is locked.

I was about to ask why you went this route versus a toggle switch, but you answered my question.

Okay, the install is done. It works like a charm.

Here's the DIY.....
So what is a "Mystery Switch"?

Very simple, it's a switch that allows you to manually control your torque converter lock-up solenoid. It lets you lock your torque converter in any forward gear.

Be cautious with this DIY. If you do not have a transmission that is built to handle some abuse, this modification can be damaging to you tranny. A good torque converter, billet input shaft and valve body, at a minimum, are suggested before using this mod.

The type of switch that you use for this is up to you. If your intent for this mod is towing or using it with an engine brake, I suggest using a toggle type switch. If your interest is racing or dynos, I suggest a push on, momentary type switch to keep you from forgetting it and stalling the truck.

So, on with the DIY......

First, you need to figure out where you want to put the switch. I placed mine so that I could lift a finger from the gear selector and hit the button. I decided to place it on the radio bezel. My switch is a momentary on type switch.

Slide6-2.jpg

Once you have the location determined, you need to have the materials to do the install. A grand total of about $15 worth of electrical components is all that is needed. The biggest thing you my need to purchase, as most of us do not have these on hand is a pack of 33 ohm resistors. These resistors are necessary for this install, otherwise manually activating the TC lock-up solenoid will set a code and put the truck into limp mode.

Slide1-5.jpg

Now we can figure out how we are going to rig this up. It's actually very simple, the most time consuming part is getting your wiring near and out of the way.

This is basically a two wire hook up. One from the torque converter lock-up solenoid wire and one to ground.

What this system does is GROUNDS the TC solenoid circuit.

Here is my basic diagram of how the system is rigged.

Slide4-2.jpg

The wire we need to tap is the #7 pin on the transmission solenoid assembly. The wire is Yellow w/ a Light Blue stripe.

TrannyWiringDiagram.jpg

Slide3-4.jpg

The connector that you need to remove is located on the drivers side of the transmission and is located directly above the dog ear for the transmission jack.

Slide1-4.jpg

Once you have pulled out the connector and located the #7 wire (Yellow w/ Light Blue stripe), you need to tap into that wire. The method you use is up to you, I used a t-tap.

Slide2-5.jpg

Once you tap the wire, you need to run your lead up into the cab. It is easier to feed the wire from the engine bay DOWN to the transmission. I HIGHLY recommend that all connections for this DIY are soldered and shrink wrapped.

Slide1-6.jpg

Once the lead is inside the cab, you can connect your 33 ohm resistor. This resistor is necessary, otherwise this will set a code and put the truck into limp mode. These resistors are approx $0.99 at Radio Shack. Solder your resistor to the wire and then connect the wire to your switch wiring.

Slide6-3.jpg

Slide5-2.jpg

Once the switch location has been determined and the switch is mounted, you need to conenct your wires to it. One wire is from the transmission and one goes to ground. Any clean, metal ground will work fine.

Slide3-5.jpg

Slide4-3.jpg

Slide2-6.jpg

Slide5-3.jpg

Slide3-6.jpg

Once you have the wires connected to the switch, you are ready to put everything back together and try it out.

Slide6-2.jpg

It's that easy.

Remember, keeping the TC locked at low speeds will bog the truck and stall it if you come to a stop. REMEMBER TO UNLOCK THE TC.

If you have a set of electronic gauges that shows the TC condition, you WILL NOT see the TC locked when you manually engage it. This is because the monitor gets it's signal from the TIPCM, not the TC itself.

Back