• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Mysterious coolant leak from the rear of the engine

Hi guys, just wanted to let you know that I am getting close to checking out the leak. I have rented a cooling system leak tester and hope to complete the test this week. Thank you all for your input.
Thanks for letting us know. My wife says, 'everything is figureoutable' so I'm sure you'll sort it out.

I nominate "figureoutable" to be added to a dictionary...LOL
Update: Pumped up the coolant pressure tester and low and behold the dreaded quick disconnect at the thermostat housing is leaking. Apparently when the engine is running the new Duramax fan is blowing the the coolant that is leaking through the valley and leaking out the back. At least I hope that's what it is. I fooled around with it for about an hour and got it clicked in and tried to get the aluminum tube at the right angle it to and no mas. Still leaking.
I found a new fitting with seal, just the seal, and a tool to remove the pewter fitting.
What do you guys recommend?

I second removing that junk quick connect and using a steel hose barb with some clamps. someone already did mine for me before I bought it. it's simply a hose barb threaded into the crossover with a short section of heater hose clamped to it and slid over the aluminum pipe that once went into the quick connect. there is a lip on that aluminum pipe to help keep the hose from slipping off when clamped.

if your feeling mechanically inclined and full of energy LOL you could replace that entire pipe with the pre-formed hose at the heater core with a long section of silicone heater hose. the connection at the heater core should only have one of those dreaded squeeze clamps there if it's the original. Just route it away or wrap it with some high heat wrap near the exhaust area!

I hate those connectors, they will break and have to be extracted in pieces every time! iirc you'll need a 1/2" or 3/4" pipe tap to clean the threads. if your lucky a large EZ-out will get the threaded part out. most of the time I have to use a small chisel and a cut section of a hack saw blade to get them out. be prepaired to pull the whole crossover housing off the engine if a part breaks off and goes into the cooling jacket. also makes it much easier to get to when it's on a bench rather than stretching your back over the front of the truck!

I second removing that junk quick connect and using a steel hose barb with some clamps. someone already did mine for me before I bought it. it's simply a hose barb threaded into the crossover with a short section of heater hose clamped to it and slid over the aluminum pipe that once went into the quick connect. there is a lip on that aluminum pipe to help keep the hose from slipping off when clamped.

if your feeling mechanically inclined and full of energy LOL you could replace that entire pipe with the pre-formed hose at the heater core with a long section of silicone heater hose. the connection at the heater core should only have one of those dreaded squeeze clamps there if it's the original. Just route it away or wrap it with some high heat wrap near the exhaust area!
This ^^^ but I used a brass barb.

Yes to that. if you have to cut and chisel the old broken one out. surely use some pipe dope liberally LOL. in some cases I have cleaned out threads free of any grease, oil and moisture and use some red RTV on the threads for a good seal.

UPDATE: Turns out that in addition to the quick disconnect leak the thermostat housing was leaking at the attachment points. After I replaced the puter quick disconnect fitting with a stainless steel 1/2 NPT/ to 5/8 barbed fitting and added gaskets to the thermostat housing, I did have a coolant hose leak which was fixed by tightening the hose clamp. No More Leaks! I hope to post photos tonight.

Here is a pic of my engine I have on the stand. I circled the two block off plates There in the same location as if they were the last intake port on the heads if they makes sense
What is the sticker about on the firewall side of the valve cover which can almost never be seen except if the engine is removed?
1683129151014.png
The pink engine from the earlier post might look better if in a Barbie Jeep.

Here it is. There's more work to do but I don't have enough time to finish it. We are selling the house and moving and I won't take Rachet with me.

Attachments

• 20230503_134729.jpg
    20230503_134729.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230503_134804.jpg
    20230503_134804.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230503_134827.jpg
    20230503_134827.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230503_134816.jpg
    20230503_134816.jpg