• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

my ultimate coldstart

Really? Hard to imagine as your a couple miles north of me:smile5:

When 0-40w oil was first available her the local bulk dealer had a group of glass tubes with the various wt. oils in and a steel ball. You would invert them and watch the ball drop. The 0-40w was pretty impressive compared to even a 5-30w.

15-40 dino won't pour out of the jug at -20f:nonod:. Why would you run that heavy oil if you will be dead cold starting at -35c:confused:. There would be no oil flowing for the first couple minuites.:eek:

Really? Hard to imagine as your a couple miles north of me:smile5:

When 0-40w oil was first available her the local bulk dealer had a group of glass tubes with the various wt. oils in and a steel ball. You would invert them and watch the ball drop. The 0-40w was pretty impressive compared to even a 5-30w.

Probaly available in Anchorage but that's an 1 1/2 hr drive away

For those who never tried synthetic oil, the noise level is MUCH MUCH lower and she cranks MUCH MUCH faster with synthetic. Its THAT noticeable. It even pours.

i dunno if i want to try synthetic, not sure if im at the mileage where the lower viscosity might hurt things... truck sure starts good at 0*F though, 4 or 5 puffs of smoke and its clean as whistle... i just wish i could get it to whistle :( maybe i should clean all the caked on sludge off of the impeller blades.

AK do you have a Walmart near you? They sell the Mobil 1 0w-40. It's rated for Diesel motors, it just doesn't scream Diesel off the bottle labeling.

pretty much every one around here runs 0-40 in the winter.I do but only in veh that sleep out side.Its kinda pricy but beats the p out of 10-30 0r 15-40.
Like BK said,that stuff acts more like putty in 20 below.

Hard to believe it aint readely available in AK,it aint exactly tropical there.

You're not suppose to run it in new/rebuild engines for the first couple oil changes,cause it prevents the rings from seating.
Its more slippery than an eel in a pail of snot.

If you know what you pay for a kilowatt. KW x hrs x (wattage div. by 1000) of block heater

I have mine on a lightswitch, at 4:30 I flip the switch, leave house by 5:30 or 6... Enough to make it start quietly. The less loud audible noises coming out of the engine the better IMO. I'll stop this habit when overnight temps are above 40 I guess....

My '99 has to be the only 6.5TD in SoCal with a block heater AND it will never get used):h

Does your 95 not have a block heater? My 94 does, but I believe its life started in New York.

The '95 was first sold in California, so no block heater. The '99 was first sold I think in Delaware, then moved to Pennsylvania, then to Illinois and now resides in SoCal. Prolly got the block heater in Illinois.

15-40 dino won't pour out of the jug at -20f:nonod:. Why would you run that heavy oil if you will be dead cold starting at -35c:confused:. There would be no oil flowing for the first couple minuites.:eek:

well its got 300k on the clock now,no oil consumtion:smile5:

The '95 was first sold in California, so no block heater. The '99 was first sold I think in Delaware, then moved to Pennsylvania, then to Illinois and now resides in SoCal. Prolly got the block heater in Illinois.

I am going to go outside and plug it in, its a cool 70* here now.

Colby

its a cool 70* here now <--------SUK_IT!!!
Say's the guys who has just seen sunshine for the last 3 days, for the first time in 30, with a night temp of 14F and a high today of 45F. <-- thats t-shirt weather here in March =) but come July we'll be Biotchin about how cold that feels!!
Stinkin Michigan, Our state slogan,,, "If you don't like the weather, stick around"

Back