• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

my ultimate coldstart

haakon

Reaction score
I was starting my 99 6.5td in -38c the other day.....jumpercabels and hairdryer blowing in the turbo hose and it fired up!:smile5:
Not been plugged...and not started for some days... not bad,and best of all,my friends 7.3 powerstroke didnt start at all:smile5:

Wow that is impressive.

There is no way mine would kick over in those conditions! I am a slave to the plug.

My trucks proudest start was unplugged overnight 8df on 7 cylinders, with one cylinder with zero compression.

One glowcycle, fired right up. Smoked to holy hell of course :)

Pillow if you have good glows you shouldn't have needed to plug in this winter. I'm only about an hour south of you and had no problems. Coldest I started in was about 3F.

I was starting my 99 6.5td in -38c the other day.....jumpercabels and hairdryer blowing in the turbo hose and it fired up!:smile5:
Not been plugged...and not started for some days... not bad,and best of all,my friends 7.3 powerstroke didnt start at all:smile5:
you sure it was'nt parked in your heated igloo?):h

Mine starts below zero not plugged in and I plug it in religiously unless I come home in a drunkin stuper & forget.

It'll start fine, it's that start up death rattle that seems like minutes that is hard on me virgin ears :bigear: lol

the last cold start mine had was devistating. it started really hard and that was the day things detonated. but it used to start all the time no mater how cold sometimes it would fire and then die and id cranker over again and she rattle and clack

earplugs required. Is there synthetic oil in it?

No its pure dino oil dyno cat 15 w40....since new....it just turned 300k kilometers:smile5:

I never plug in but i allows it to idle a few minutes before i drive....

Hey yr scaring me, mine just turned 200K last week...& is running great!

well min went 89k longer than where yours is at now but i really think the reason mine blew is directly related to the oil loss that i had i checked it one day and then 2 weeks later it was 4q low:eek::eek:. never found where it went. never had a big puddle (lots of little leaks but it had those since the day i bought it) or anything so must have been burning it but never really saw any blue smoke. i guess what im saying is just be mind full of the important things like oil and coolant. i thought i was doing right checking it every 2nd fillup but you can bet with the fresh motor it will be every fill up

so who has the best dead cold start? I know that the 6.5L starts decent cold with good batts and GPs, so who has the trophy?

Also, Who has the best block heater only start?

I know that the one guy from maxxtorque magazine mentioned in one of his articles that he dead cold started his Duramax/Allison at -40 degrees fahrenheit.

the coldest i remeber starting at was around the 0* mark at around 3am when leaving the gf house last winter after the truck sat for 8hrs while we where out partying

on a side not a buddy of mine bought his first diesel last summer and he started pluging it in when it got to 40* he was paranoied about it being pluged in always. i like to have mine pluged in but if its not easily accesable i know she will fire ill just have to give her some time to warm up

For those who never tried synthetic oil, the noise level is MUCH MUCH lower and she cranks MUCH MUCH faster with synthetic. Its THAT noticeable. It even pours.

iv been debating going synthtic in the fresh motor but will probably run dino for the first couple oil changes just cuz its cheaper

Back