• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My turn for advice on buying project 97 K2500 Suburban

fastjohnny

Reaction score
I haven't seen pics yet, it's got 285K. Current owner has had for about 60K since 2007. PMD is on a cooler, but on the intake, has been changed a couple times. Interior/Exterior is good for age/miles, A/C leaks, 1 new battery,new alternator,new starter,new front brake pads rotors calipers. It will probably need front end work, ball joints/idler/pitman, etc. Now the big one: bad trans, owner states the bell housing cracked, as did the flexplate. If it was just a blown trans, it'd be no big deal, but at this stage, I'm not sure yet, whether I can start/idle it.

Any ideas on what would cause the bellhousing to crack? My concern is if that gave, could the crank have taken a load as well?

What's it worth?

Not much. You will need to buy another tranny for a core. 97 was the year that had Cylinder issues(some of them) as well. 285K is alot of miles . If the motor is original it's just about done.

I would have to say $8-1500 depending on the condition of the body and the tires. The only thing I can think of that would break the bellhousing and flexplate is loose engine to tranny bolts. Junkyard tranny or one off craigslist.
I wouldn't count the engine out because of the year or the miles. It may not be original.

AC leak maybe in the lines that go under the passenger side to the rear AC evap. At least that where everyone else's I've ever known to leak.

If you have some time on your hands and want to bring her up to speed... That sounds like a tall order.

Kevin, he did say that's where the leak was. I've replaced those before on my inlaw's suburban. Custom Napa Fabrication, ;)

IF body/interior is as he says, I'm ok with the trans deal. My biggest concern is engine, not being able to test drive. If I can't hear it run at all, price would be very very low.

Back