• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My truck is broken

confused

Recruit
Reaction score
I got the passenger side head off and this is what i found. First i found 2 bent push rods, then when i got the head off, the messed up piston with the pieces of steel laying on top. This does not explain the antifreeze in the oil, (3 gallons of oil when i drained it). Where do i go from here? Do i need to take the other side off? Is it worth fixing?

Attachments

• P1070800.jpg
    P1070800.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 27
  • P1070801.jpg
    P1070801.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 27
  • P1070802.jpg
    P1070802.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 36
  • P1070803.jpg
    P1070803.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 27
  • P1070798.jpg
    P1070798.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 24
Yes you need to pull other side check it, also pull pan and have a look at main webs, crank and rods, rotate engine look over cylinder walls, actually that far into it you mite as well pull it out, if block & main webs are okay, go ahead and rebuild it.

I agree with Turbine Doc, pull the engine check the bottom end, if your ok there buy one piston and replace it. I have seen may motors with pistons beat that bad still in good shape for a rebuild.

Have to address the integrity of the block first though. :thumbsup:

My question is, 'what are the pieces of steel from?'

They almost look like piston ring, but how would THAT get on top of the piston?

on the other site he said the stud for the air cleaner(its an NA engine) was missing about 3 inches and he founds only 2 inches worth of parts. it looks like a screw was in that cylinder too by the imprints so thats where the other inch of air cleaner stud could have gone, and caused the piston damage.

on the other site he said the stud for the air cleaner(its an NA engine) was missing about 3 inches and he founds only 2 inches worth of parts. it looks like a screw was in that cylinder too by the imprints so thats where the other inch of air cleaner stud could have gone, and caused the piston damage.

You can tell it is a screw by the imprint marks in his picture. The rounded over edges of the piston ring land tell the story of the piston top being peened by the lose screw. My thing is is it still in the turbo housing? can't get through the turbo slot and should still be some of it in the exhaust somewhere.

One less NA engine

i took the other side off, rotated the engine, hammered down the bad piston because it wasn't moving when i was rotating it. The cylinder wall is cracked. I guess i will be parting it out. Thanks for your help guys.
:sad::sad::sad:

OH Boy. This is Deja Vu all over again. This was a problem with 6.2s and since your 6.5 is N/A it probably is the same. It's the air cleaner stud. You can see the thread imprint in the piston. This exact same thing happended to me right down to the antifreeze in the oilpan. I'm sorry but I would be 99% sure the block is cracked. You will probabvly find a crack in the cylinder wall. What happens is the stud breaks at the base where it goes into the airhorn and then dangles around with the nut still holding it to the aircleaner then finally works loose and goes into the motor. You would look at the length of that stud and think it could never get past the vlave but TRUST ME it can. Start looking for a new motor. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I went through exactly this on my 83. To those out there with aircleaners mounted on the airhorn replace the stud periodically. Not worth losing an engine over it. Sad part was my 6.2 was spotless inside and cyinders had no wear.
Good Luck

Since your 6.5 is N/A a 6.2 would be an easy swap and probably alot cheaper and easier to come by used. JMO. You won't see any noticable power difference IMO.

If it was a 4X4 i would consider dropping another motor in it. Living in snow country and loving ice fishing, i need a 4X4. I already took off most of the good parts.

sorry for your loss. I know too well what you are going through....:frown5:
It's the worst to lose an engine like that. Better to have run it to it's death .

Man, that is really a bummer. I honestly feel your pain after having gone through a similar "self-induced" situation with my first engine build (read the rag-incident thread).

It's too bad the block is done, -or else you could probably fix it.

Hang tough.

Sorry to hear about the engine. It is never good news to hear of another 6.5 biting the dust, esp. when it is something so stupid that caused it.

Let me know if you do decide to part it out, I'd be interested in the Oil cooler and lines...

Back