• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My snotty stocking experience

guybb3

Reaction score
My tank sock was clogged with the coating that is on the inside of the tank. There was a ton of stuff floating around (tiny metal flakes) and the sock would only stay clear for a day or two after blowing through the fuel line backwards with compressed air. I just got it back together and now it has the fuel flow it should have had. My fuel gauge had just started to wildly jump up and down as well, so I just broke the two metal lines on top of the sender (much easier to remove the tank that way) and replaced the sender and sock unit.

My tank sock was clogged with the coating that is on the inside of the tank. There was a ton of stuff floating around (tiny metal flakes) and the sock would only stay clear for a day or two after blowing through the fuel line backwards with compressed air. I just got it back together and now it has the fuel flow it should have had. My fuel gauge had just started to wildly jump up and down as well, so I just broke the two metal lines on top of the sender (much easier to remove the tank that way) and replaced the sender and sock unit.

Did you compare the new sock with the old? My new FSU had a gasoline sock on it, which reeked havoc all winter long.... Out of fuel symptoms, wax crudded up the sock, no diesel flap to let it pass.

I ditched that entire sock ordeal with my racor install, Having a non accessable fuel tank filter is pointless when were dealing with diesel, especially in these climates.

Also seems tank flakes, and improper socks compound the issue.

I am going to CAKE the top of the fuel sender unit with a tube of grease before snow-fly this year. My new FSU got all rusty busty already just from last winter....

Give you something to think about.

I'm actually replacing my rear tank FSU in a few weeks, and I havn't made up my mind yet on the sock ditched there or not... NO racor pre-transfer lift pump.... I'll see how I feel when I peek into the tank.

I put slashes in the bottom of the fuel sock so if it got clogged again it would just pull through the slashes. I kept the new sock on because I thought it would help (to not suck air) if the tank was low and I was cornering or braking hard. Yes, I piled grease on the top of mine also. I gave Auto Zone the part number and checked when it came in to make sure I got the right sender and sock.

I put slashes in the bottom of the fuel sock so if it got clogged again it would just pull through the slashes. I kept the new sock on because I thought it would help (to not suck air) if the tank was low and I was cornering or braking hard. Yes, I piled grease on the top of mine also. I gave Auto Zone the part number and checked when it came in to make sure I got the right sender and sock.

Well done :)

It can be a sign of the injection pump failing, the filings return to the tank with return fuel. I can't say for sure, but it has been mention quite a few times.

You could see, plain as day, by looking in the tank, that the metallic coating on the inside of the tank is flaking off. Good thing I have an inline filter, before the lift pump.

You guys with the snot problems ever try Bio-Con? Our diesel mechanic swears by it to control algae and snot problems in our locomotives and loaders.

You guys with the snot problems ever try Bio-Con? Our diesel mechanic swears by it to control algae and snot problems in our locomotives and loaders.

Snot is almost always a mystery. Problem lies in no drain plug on the fuel tank, so you can't drain it easily yearly, or ever easily, and really get the crud that accumulates, whatever it may be.

It can be a sign of the injection pump failing, the filings return to the tank with return fuel. I can't say for sure, but it has been mention quite a few times.

This is an old one where the dealer sells you a tank cleaning with IP install. The old original design of the DS pump had steel rollers. They changed to low sulfur (the prelude to the ULTRA-low sulfur of today). The steel rollers would fail and contaminate the tank via the return line. Since they have been using ceramic rollers, that has not been a real issue.

I too have seen the "shiney silver flakes" at filter changes.....If it's the inside coating of the tank, should a fuel tank replacment be considered?

Thanks,

I too have seen the "shiney silver flakes" at filter changes.....If it's the inside coating of the tank, should a fuel tank replacment be considered?

Thanks,

Louis, if I had seen that crap in there BEFORE I had already waited 2 days for my sending unit, I absolutely would have ordered a tank as well. RockAuto has nice tanks for under $190 shipped to my door. If only I had done it first because you know I be doing it before a few years go by!!:mad2:

Thanks,

Thats the main advantage of having 2 filtering units. It would be very easy for one of the flakes to get into the clean side of the IP's feed during a filter swap.

Back