• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Recommended Mnx & Mod List for 1994 and 1995 6.5TDs

buddy

Reaction score
View attachment Mnx&Mods info updated.pdfI have been writing up different information from all the modifications I have performed or researched. Some of it only applies to 1994 and 1995 OBD1 trucks, quite a bit of it to 96 trucks, less applies to 97-99 trucks, and even less to 2000 year trucks.

These are only my recommendations, others may have differing opinions, and please let me know if I missed something really important, or wrote something inaccurate or that doesnt make sense.

Edit: incorporated suggestions and some pictures to break up the words some.
Edit: By 8100 Power, Added updated PDF

Last edited by a moderator:
nice!! that list almost makes us want to buy a drive-by-wire truck ..... after all we know another member who builds a custom 6 tune chip...LOL but seriously great job, great list... will be benificial to all who want to have full access to the ''6.5l bible vol 1'':thumbsup:

nice!! that list almost makes us want to buy a drive-by-wire truck ..... after all we know another member who builds a custom 6 tune chip...LOL but seriously great job, great list... will be benificial to all who want to have full access to the ''6.5l bible vol 1'':thumbsup:

oh yeah , lots of it applies from 1981 and up as well......

Thanks, and I updated it to be a little more generic on the programming stuff, I'm also going to throw in some pictures to break up the string of words.

This was easy to read. Seems like most of the bases were covered. One small thing you might ad is not to ajust the IP with the engine running.
I see a sticky coming.

Visuals would help alot to anyone who doesn't know these things up close and personal. I have lots of pics if you need some.

I would add more emphasis on cooling and keeping that in tip top shape. A fresh fan clutch less than 5 years old and cleaning the mat from between the engine oil cooler and trans oil cooler (if equipped) and the condenser. The 6 blade fan is scrap metal and lots were sent that way attached to a scrap block from overheating. The quickest way to ruin your 6.5 is to get it hot. The 20" steel fan will do the job under extreme conditions, but, the Duramax fan works better at idle for AC performance. The radiator cap should be pressure tested or replaced with a cooling system service. You are looking at a neglected factory cap aren't you? (And if a bad cap lets go suddenly while you are getting hot you WILL scuff a piston from shock cooling the block.)

Why even recommend the 1993 POS factory fuel pump? If you get 1 year out of the factory style lift pump you are doing good! The Walbro FRB5 should be the minimum fuel pump purchased by those on a budget (As it is priced about the same as the factory pump) and the FRB5 has a life rating to all but finally forget about the fuel pump and is rated for bio diesel. Unless you like changing out fuel pumps once a year or more... The pump can be installed with rubber hose and clamps over the factory steel lines. A vendor on here sells the pump and another vendor sells adapter fittings to make the factory lines 'easy' to install hose on.

EDIT: Any bio % will eat the valves out of the stock lift pumps fairly quickly. So if you have one that rattles with no flow you should check to see if your state or a state you went through has mandated the use of 5% bio diesel like MTBE and other green/clean air laws do to gasoline. If so your only choice is a bio diesel compatible fuel pump conversion. Methanol is used for commercial bio diesel production and it 'alone' will void the warranty on most fuel pumps.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, added wording about only adjusting the IP with the engine off, and that the OEM LPs often fail within 1 year. Added a few pictures, like the OPS relay mod, the TDCO timing, and the EGR intakes. Them pictures make the file get big real fast. Luckily, the forum doesnt shrink pdf files like it does JPEGs. I think its near the limit though.

i might have added a little better warning to running more than 15 psi of boost for more power. some newbies might disregard the dangers entirely and blow their engine if they dont know what they are doing. but overall it is a great writup and a must have for anybody looking to mod their 6.5

I've never had a lp fail. OPS is a different story. I haven't had any new ops, including AC Delco, last more than a week. It can be rewired to use only the factory relay with a couple diodes.

Vac pump delete would use a 101" belt. That 101" belt is used on the 1993 model year with AC. So if you don't remember at the parts store use a 1993 6.5 TD as these were factory without the vac pump. (W/O AC is a 102" belt on 1993. and the 1995 factory with AC belt.) When GM switched the AC to the driver's side the belt length may or may not have changed - someone with that year can chime in.

Yep, the later model trucks used a belt about 1 inch shorter. Still working on updates, I figure oil and CDR are decent things to cover, and tweaks to the other areas, with more pictures.

Back