• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

my pmd jumper harness who made this crap (With Update)

qak

Reaction score
Every wire is spliced, looks new but who sold this junk. Came with
My recently purchased truck. When you wiggle the end connections2011-10-23_11-50-52_876.jpg2011-10-23_11-50-42_967.jpg
The truck dies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I closed all the little connections with a small screwdriver. Installed then started truck,
wiggled the wires like before and no more fishbiting or dying. Now to save up for a new
pmd and harness from pmd cable :)

Actually, the splicing doesn't look that bad.. I've certainly seen worse! From what you describe, the problem is in the weatherpak connectors, not the splice, am I right?

Yes the splices appear fine. I wiggled all of them while running and it didnt skip a beat. I just thought if
this was a pro built piece (which given the splicing it appears to be) then why not just 1in single wire
between connectors? The po didnt seem capable of the splicing quality in this harness, that's why I
thought it was aftermarket.

After bending all terminals down to a smaller opening all is well. Im just wondering if this is something
everyone checks before buying a new pmd,?

Not me, qak... I've never thought about loose weatherpak connectors. That's why we USE the darn things, after all...

Good catch on that, by the way. I would have missed it, I think.

Thanks , ive learned alot by working on my 3 semi trucks wiring. Mostly junk designed to fail within a specified time
period. Makes the shops more money, and at 100-140 an hour for my trucks ive got to learn everything i can. Fortunately,
with all the good people and help at this site ive learned ALOT about these 6.5s!!!

Very likely the vendor got to the end of the rolls of wire and didn't want to throw money away,and soldered the new rolls right in behind to complete the harness.
The next guys got the one without splices.

Very likely the vendor got to the end of the rolls of wire and didn't want to throw money away,and soldered the new rolls right in behind to complete the harness.
The next guys got the one without splices.
I'm sure not gonna argue that possibility in this day and age but that's DAMN lame!

Last edited:
Kind of, The connectors used for the PMD are Pull to seat, you slide the wire through the connector, crimp the terminal on then pull the wire back till it clicks in place

I'm sure not gonna argue that possibility in this day and age but that's DAMN lame!
I agree, there is no reason to do it that way unless someone just extended a short one like SSdiesels and didnt have the right terminal or tool to remove the old terminal from the connector

Thats home made. No way a pro would do that (i hope?) I say this because what if you were the purchaser, you would know where it came from and the maker would have alot of bad word of mouth addvertizing.
If you decide to buy a new one mine are $29. and have no splices in them :thumbsup:

Leroy, if I can scrape the funds together ill be getting a 1new yr fsd and 6' harness. Thx

UPDATE on pmd cable splices

One of my last posts showed a pmd harness with splices in it. It was fishbiting and dying dead cold. I crimped down the female connections on the cable and 2-3 weeks after that I still have NO instances of fishbiting,!!!!!!! You might check yours before replacing the pmd or cable,!!!

Yeah, thanks for the update ... glad you found the problem!

(For those who might have missed it, the issue was a loose pin in the connection, NOT the DIY splices in the cable. Not the first place I would have looked, and a good reminder to check the not-so-obvious stuff, too!)

Back