• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My new Trailer Harness interface

BigBlueChevy

Compression Ignition Addict
Reaction score
I've always hated having to carry around adapters, extensions, and other do-dads in order to hook up to some of the various trailers the boss owns. So I decided to do something about it. And with the county 4H fair coming up in August, pulling the horse trailer will be a cake walk this year, instead of having to jerry-rig the connector again:nonod:

I already most of the materials and whatnot, including the steel, and the smaller 6 pin "horse trailer harness" from last year, and when Walmart had the 7 pin RV connector with the smaller 4 flat "multi connector" on sale for $15 bucks; I jumped on it.
0627101256.jpg

0627101256a.jpg

I chopped up the 1/4" thick steel plate to size, then machined it to accept the "multi-connector" and 6 pin connector so they would be bolted up to the plate.
0627101257.jpg

Test fit:
0627101358.jpg

0627101358a.jpg

Machined three holes into the top for the mounting screws then primed and painted it.
0627101906.jpg

0627101907.jpg

Cut back the harness on both connectors till it was something more manageable then started wiring...
0627101908.jpg

All soldered up:
0627101950.jpg

A little wire loom to keep things tidy, protected and neat, then bolted on with 1/4" self tapping screws.

0628101750.jpg

0628101750a.jpg

0628101750b.jpg

Goodbye adapters

That sure looks better than mine...thanks for the reminder...

Funny how a need finally gets a person motivated. One thing, then another, and all of a sudden it's a birds nest.

It wasn't really a birdsnest. But having to carry around 3 or 4 different adapters to pull around the variety of trailers we have was getting annoying. And heaven forbid one of the others guys borrowed one cause they "misplaced" theirs. Forget ever seeing that again :mad2: I finally just got fed-up with it.

Why thank you sir.

I have to say even today alone it paid for itself(wasn't expensive at all anyway). But being able to back in, hook up, load up and go sure made me happy.

Back