• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My manual says the 6.5-T service every 2500MI

M123KT-450

Reaction score
According to the manual this thing is supposed to have and oil changed evey 2,500 miles ?

is this right ?

I think its insane. . .

Mikey

Depends on where you are and how you used the truck and the condition of the truck.

In addition, what oil is used -- PAO Synthetic, GP III Synthetic or Dino.

Of course, the most definitive way to determine OCI is Oil Analysis.

Yes, 2500miles may be too low. There was somebody did an oil analysis with Mobil 1300S (Dino) and it can last to 10K without any problem. The truck is a D-max, though. What that means is oil technology has come a long way since they recommend 2500mi OCI.

I use amsoil 60W and spin a new filter every 3K and drain the oil every 9K...

Mike

I would recommend pulling an analysis and deciding from there based on the results. SOTP guess is 2500 is very short with your choice of lubricant

I have no idea what your talking about there !

Never bothered with testing oils I just change them at my intervals...

I have yet to have an oil related issue !

I was just shocked with there oil intervals it sounds way to low.

Mikey

That's because it's different than the SOTP method you have been using... if you don't like the interval you read, read a different manual. I'm sure that with a little looking around, you will be able to find one you like.

Good luck!

I have no idea what your talking about there !

Never bothered with testing oils I just change them at my intervals...

I have yet to have an oil related issue !

I was just shocked with there oil intervals it sounds way to low.

Mikey

I am agreeing with you.

All I meant was, to truly know how far you can go, do an analysis. You may find that you can go farther than you are. I also agree that 2500 sounds extremely short to me with a group IV synthetic.

Mikeys service intervals I actually i ahev my own Owners manuals made up in each unit i have with this in the general routine service intervals than its followed by a more Vehicle specific details on the following page. pats and part numbers tools needed to service. . .
...................................................................................................................

Vehicle Service Intervals:

Oil filter every 3,000 miles.

Fittings greased every 6,000 Miles.

Oil change every 9,000 miles.

Fuel filter Air filter Coolant filter every 18,000 miles.

Gear Lubes changed every spring unless they get wet.

Coolant every other spring.

All of my Vehicles get the same service intervals Gas or Diesel.

Every unit is serviced with AMSOIL products.

...................................................................................................................

I only posted it as i found it flipping threw the manual getting some numbers i needed. . .

I have been running my intervals for 10 years now and i ain't really going to change them i was just asking if that is what it is or if it was a miss print just some FYI and that it struck me as odd for the oil to be serviced that often.

Mikey

Servicing everything with Amsoil makes a lot of sense... treating them all the same without getting an oil analysis doesn't.

If you are working your vehicle in a dirty environment, or if you have air filtration issues, your oil can have a VERY different chemical composition than one that is operated light-duty highway-only in a clean environment. The only way to know that is by getting an oil analysis.

Ashton is offering you the best free advice you're seen in a week; if you don't want to take it, then don't ask the question. Go find another manual.

Servicing everything with Amsoil makes a lot of sense... treating them all the same without getting an oil analysis doesn't.

If you are working your vehicle in a dirty environment, or if you have air filtration issues, your oil can have a VERY different chemical composition than one that is operated light-duty highway-only in a clean environment. The only way to know that is by getting an oil analysis.

Ashton is offering you the best free advice you're seen in a week; if you don't want to take it, then don't ask the question. Go find another manual.

What is this question you keep refering to ? only asked if the 2500 is really what GM thought best ? Not weather i should follow that or not. . .

I'm sure it is great advice but you don't really see companys treat there fleet of 30-50 trucks on a case by case. they have there set intervals and all 30 or all 50 trucks get service the same. . .regardless of year make model operating conditions or weather it Gas or Diesel. . .

Now i don't know about you but if it takes a week or 2 to get the sample checked that could mean that oil may have another 1, 2 or 3 thousand more miles on it. . .

So if the oil tests bad by the time you find out you may just put another 1,500 miles on it. Which would then mean damage if is already done weather you have simptoms yet or not. . .

unless its like a pool or fish tank test kit were you dip your oil ans have an answer in seconds its not really going to do me any good. . .

But thanks for the offer. . .

Mikey

I'm sure it is great advice but you don't really see companys treat there fleet of 30-50 trucks on a case by case. they have there set intervals and all 30 or all 50 trucks get service the same. . .regardless of year make model operating conditions or weather it Gas or Diesel. . .

Actually, that's not true, in most cases. Once a company establishes a duty cycle for a specific vehicle, then they can set the service intervals. For instance, the Accountant's company car, which never works hard, might be just fine with an 8000 mile service interval. The Roustabout field unit, a diesel truck which pulls a 15000# steam-clean unit on gravel roads all day, in the hills, in hot weather, needs a significantly different interval.

If the company establishes all service intervals based on the roustabout's diesel truck, then the company cars and light-duty units get serviced far too often, which wastes money. If they establish the interval based on the light-duty units, they run a very real risk of damaging the heavy-use equipment, which again wastes money.

Once you establish a duty cycle through analysis, then you can pick the best interval for each vehicle, ensuring that vehicle is serviced on a suitable interval.. Until then, you're just guessing, so 2500 miles is safer (but more expensive) than 9000 miles.

Like I said, Ashton gave you great free advice.

Now i don't know about you but if it takes a week or 2 to get the sample checked that could mean that oil may have another 1, 2 or 3 thousand more miles on it. . .

So if the oil tests bad by the time you find out you may just put another 1,500 miles on it. Which would then mean damage if is already done weather you have simptoms yet or not. . .

unless its like a pool or fish tank test kit were you dip your oil ans have an answer in seconds its not really going to do me any good. . .

But thanks for the offer. . .

Mikey

By your logic, if your oil tests bad at 2500 miles, you might get it up to 5500 miles before you change it, and the damage is already done. Consider this: using your SOTP scheme, you and going to run the oil for another 3500 miles past THAT point.

The best part about free advice is that it's worth what you make of it.

Good point. . .

But my stuff runs rather nicely and last long enough on my current plan some might even say they last too long, Run too well for there milage and age.
I thank AMSOIL for that.

Now the 6.5. . .its an interesting truck, any other truck would of had that many issues that close together it would have been replaced no questions asked. . .
But for some reason i keep fixing that thing. . .not sure why. . .my Submind must be seeing some thing i ain't. . .But with a chip and a little regearing along with a few other tricks i think that truck is going to be just fine. . .it seems to be stablized now maybe its just getting used to me as it was owned by the same person from new till it was traded in.

Mikey

What you have to understand when the 6.5 TD was designed, it was designed for economy. I forgot where I read those. So there are a lot of design limitation that it puts into it. In this forum, while we like to push the envelope on mods but there is a limited mods that we can do. Some of it to increase reliability of the truck, some pushing the envelope of the capability. Unfortunately, there are not too many of the later. If you need a stronger truck, try to get a Dmax. It has more HP and Torque at a price. The 6.5TD can be pushed up to a limit that is not that high. It is powerful enough to do everyday stuff but not good for things like racing. The good news is that it is cheaper than that of a Dmax.

I have used Amsoil AME 15W-40 for 10K and it was fine. Granted, I did not mod my suburban. All I did was reliability mod -- PMD, exhaust, LP/OPS relay. I am in the process of testing if I can do 15K this time. I know Amsoil can do that but it all depends on my truck. It is only a family vehicle so it is not a daily driver. But when we drive it, it needs to be able to go 1000 miles without breaking down or stranded in the middle of nowhere. So far, I have gone about 20K miles like that, it has never let me down. Yes, it has its share of problem like alternator (use to be emergency vehicle), LP/OPS, etc. Nothing major.

Oil Analysis (UOA) can help knowing your truck. It is like a CBC (Complete Blood Checkup) when you go to the doctor. It can help detect problems early enough before it goes further.

As far as oil analysis method, there are 2 methods:
1. Take sample when you change oil.
2. Take sample and you are not changing the oil, then wait for the results. Change it or sample later at a predetermined intervals.

What you are thinking is no. 2 methodology. If you are unsure, then use method 1. In this technology age, the results come out very fast if you choose web delivery (reduce the snail mail time).

In a fleet type environment, as Jifaire (one of the guru/expert on our 6.5TD engine in this forum and some other forum), they did a baseline analysis for the vehicle in the same category of usage. Then they do a statistical analysis to determine an optimal point of oil changes which is usually based on a certain criteria which Ashton probably knows better. When you do all your UOA from the same company, they will do the analysis for you or at least the data is available in the same place. If it is just a single vehicle, then you can probably do it yourself. There are certified people out there like Dyson Analysis that can be hired to do that also. I am sure you probably took one or two statistics classes in your life.

You probably know all this, if you do, please forgive me for informing you. This is for people out there who may have the same questions as you and don't know it. Also, English is not my first language so forgive me if I have a lot of gramatical mistakes.

No all your info is great. . .I'm actually seeing. ..your piotn as with all my AMSOIL services the first switch over service i do the intervals of 1K filer 3K oil. . .well i just did the 2k filter swap and i added some lucas instead of topping it off with the 60W as it seemed a bit thin I know it was hot but i wouldn't thing it should be so thin as it pured out the filter n housing like water or like a HOT 10W-40Syn. . .

Mikey

I have not heard the 60W oil, is that for your diesel truck? People usually used AME 15W-40 or HDD 5W-30. There are a few new ones for the new diesels. May be 60W is a new one that I don't know.

Nope the 60W has been around for a good long while !

It has a gasoline and diesel ratings as well as approved for Supercharged and turbocharged engines.

It also has anti-fuel delition !

I have had great performance with this oil in both Gas n Diesel trucks.

I won't be changing to anyother oil...

But ill change it more often if I have too.

Mikey

Nope the 60W has been around for a good long while !

It has a gasoline and diesel ratings as well as approved for Supercharged and turbocharged engines.

It also has anti-fuel delition !

I have had great performance with this oil in both Gas n Diesel trucks.

I won't be changing to anyother oil...

But ill change it more often if I have too.

Mikey
What brand is it?

Damn, I'm anal then. I do about 3500 Miles on mine with Rotella. Guess I oculd go a bit longer but at 170k+ on both 6.5s a little sooner on the oil probably doesn't hurt. Shall we open the "which oil filter" can of worms ...:D

Back