• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My KSH aux fuel tank/tool box combo

drthv8r

Recruit
Reaction score
I just installed this yesterday, I had it custom made because I have a Retrax roll top cover on my truck. Part of the tank fits under the Retrax canister. The fuel tank holds appx 60 gal. This should give me a lot longer towing range between fuel stops while towing my RV.

Attachments

• 0284.jpg
    0284.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 0285.jpg
    0285.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 58
Wow, that's slick. I looked at the first pic like :wtf:

That's sweet how the filler is under lock and key!

That's one reason I went with this company because the filler neck is under the lid. Out of sight out of mind with today's high diesel fuel prices.

that is very sharp looking. nice set up and look. great job.

Off topic, is your 5th wheel removable? Like if you had to haul something in the bed, can you pull it out?

Sorry guys I haven't gotten back to this thread in a while, I'll try to answer your questions.

SSduramax:
Thanks, I'll post a link below on the installation.

eng158:
Thanks bud.

Dad's 05 LLY:
Yes I can easily remove the hitch if I have to by pulling 4 pins.

RayMich:
The tank is made by KSH Marine out of Lake Havasu City, AZ.

I have the dimensions here somewhere I have to look for them. They do sell premade tanks of various shapes and sizes if you don't need one custom made.

This is pretty much the install although I didn't purchase my tank from here.

http://www.auxtank.com/auxtank/installSteps.asp?step=1

Yes it has several baffles installed inside the tank. I'm using a transfer switch, I don't like the idea of a gravity fed set up. I have a switch mounted in the cab, flip the switch one way the truck uses the stock tank and stock fuel gauge, flip the switch the other way the truck uses the aux tank and stock gauge.

RayMich:
The tank is made by KSH Marine out of Lake Havasu City, AZ.

I have the dimensions here somewhere I have to look for them. They do sell premade tanks of various shapes and sizes if you don't need one custom made.

This is pretty much the install although I didn't purchase my tank from here.

http://www.auxtank.com/auxtank/installSteps.asp?step=1

Yes it has several baffles installed inside the tank. I'm using a transfer switch, I don't like the idea of a gravity fed set up. I have a switch mounted in the cab, flip the switch one way the truck uses the stock tank and stock fuel gauge, flip the switch the other way the truck uses the aux tank and stock gauge.
So, I guess if you run your stock tank first, the fuel gauge will read EMPTY, and then when you flip to the auxiliary tank does the fuel gauge STILL read EMPTY ? ? ?

Or do you have a sending unit in the auxiliary tank that will read the fuel level in THAT tank when you switch to it?

Thanks.

The switch in the cab is a simple bat type control switch that controls the main switching unit under the truck that's mounted to the frame.

The single stock fuel gauge reads either tank (depending on with way you throw the switch) so there's no guessing how much fuel is left in either tank, yes there's a sending unit in the aux tank.

Same control and feed setup that I have, and I do have an American Tank in-bed aux. There's a 6-way Pollak valve on the frame. When switched, the Pollak valve draws from the selected tank, recircs through the OEM fuel cooler to the selected tank and a set of contacts shift the OEM fuel gauge to the sender in the selected tank. I've had mine installed and operating flawlessly (with the one slight hiccup that my aux sender voltage range never reads full - just 3/4 when full, but accurate to empty and trips the low fuel light, so not a major issue) since December of 2001.

Back