• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My exhaust idea and a picture

12ga diesel

Jack of all, Master of none
Reaction score
So I have changed my wheels to black and am looking for my next thing to change on my truck. I have heard a few guys on here talking about doing a black exhaust or stack and I have really liked the idea. So here is a picture of a couple peices of extra exhaust pipe. The one on the left is what my exhaust is now, 5" Aluminized, on the right is the Aluminized pipe with 2 coats of flat black 1200 degree paint. Put it up under the truck and I really like the look of it. Should have it done tomorrow and I'll have some pics up. Also, unlike the Chevys and GMCs on my Dodge, the exhaust is tucked up under the frame rails after it comes over the rear axle so I can get away without doing the whole exhaust system. Thought I might do from the muffler back. That is unless I decide to straight pipe it and loose the muffler...

paintedexhaust.jpg

Go for it.

I got rid of the Giant Chrome Tip I had on my Exhaust and put a Giant Black one on there now. The only Chrome thing left on my Truck is the Side Steps. Those are coming Off soon.

That's exactly what I'm doing when I get back from sea. on the GMC's (NBS) if you get a DPF-back pipe that deletes the muffler you can't see anything else, so I'm just getting a 5 inch dpf-back pipe that I'm gonna paint black... until I sack up and program/loose the dpf... its all cosmetic right now... a nice 5 inch side exit black pipe will look so much better than the rear-exit trumpet.

I painted mine on my car black several winters ago as a winter project to keep me busy when it's too cold to drive it. I pulled it from the headers back and took a wire wheel on a drill and cleaned/stripped it all down and painted it black with red clamps to match some of the other stuff. Love how it turned out. I looked all over for a finished picture but could only find the "tornado" picture where I was in process and had it and the GTO's exhaust laid out in the floor along with a couple weeks worth of tools. :D There's also a video of it in the car when I recorded my first start up of the season a year or two ago. My vote would be to pull it and paint it all black....it'll keep it looking good for many more years to come.

IMG_0492.jpg

start up video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-dmHQQbDd8

Well I got the exhaust painted and reinstalled last Thursday. I really love the look of it on the truck.

It was all pretty simple, took the tailpipe section of the exhaust off (muffler back), washed it with a bucket of hot water and Dawn dish soap to get any road grime and dirt off of it. Also took a some bug and tar remover before hand to get a few spots of asphalt tar that was sprayed on it from driving over a road last fall that had fresh oil down on it. Once it was all washed and cleaned, I rinsed it all off with the garden hose and dried it off with a clean shop towel. I let it stand and dry completly for another 10 mins after I wiped it down and with it being windy out that day, just letting it lay on the tailgate of the truck did the trick.

After it was all dried, I took my orbital palm sander and used 100 grit sand paper on all of the exhuast pipe to rough it up so it would take the paint better. Once complete, sprayed on the high heat Rustolem paint (good to 1200*) first coat, let dry, touched up any small spots that I might have missed. And then I put on the second coat, let it dry again. Installed it all back into place and was all done with the whole project in less then an hour. I spent $8 for high heat paint and saved myself spending $800 for the black exhaust from MBRP. Good deal for me I would say.

blackexhaust2.jpg

blackexhaust3.jpg

I like it, you done a excellent job also.

I'd like to do it to the rest of my system also. The tip would be history, but the tailpipe isn't long enough without it.

I painted my aluminized front pipe with the same flat black Rust-Oleum BBQ grill paint and it's holding up nicely (I imagine that's the hottest part of the exhaust also). The rest of the system is 304 SS.

I did the EXACT same to my entire system and its holding up quite well. The tip will wear off from sand and road whatnot but it only takes some cleaning and scouring and a quick touch up every now and then. Definately a money saver

Thanks guys! As for rocks or whatnot chipping at the tail pipe, I kinda knew that was going to happen over time, and like it was said, it will take me 10 mintues to clean it up, and do a touch up on the paint. Not a big deal in my book.

I think later this summer I might take off the whole exhaust system and do it from the turbo back. But for right now, you can't see any aluminum part of the exhaust when standing behind it or if you are in a car behind me along with standing next to the truck. I'm very happy with how it all turned out.

Back