• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My ~2 month adventure in Custom Harvesting

treegump

Romans 3:22-24
Reaction score
I'll explain later, but in summary, I got laid off somewhere around September 3rd, got hired the next week with Sammons Adventures, and got to Montana around September 13th. Built grain bin floors, and when the wheat dried out enough to continue harvesting, I learned to drive a semi on the way out to the field, and then learned how to operate and clog a Case 7120 with a 40' wheat head (straight head?). When the farmer in South Dakota started giving fields away, my boss sent 1 (of 3) combines to Blunt/Onida South Dakota to harvest corn and sunflowers. In south dakota I learned to drive a Case 245 with single front and rear floatation tires, and started with a Sunflower 850 grain cart. Then I upgraded to a stagger Brent 1050...I think... Then 1 more combine came down from montana along with the Case 335 and Brent (bigger cart), and so I upgraded to that - and the case 335 had independent front suspension, and duals front and rear, but the rear seemed to hit twice as hard as the 245 when hitting bumps and the like. The corn heads were 12 row john deere heads. One was already modified for a case combine, and one still needed modified - with a new holland adapter kit. The all crop headers were john deere as well, but were already modified. We spent ~1-2 weeks messing with those trying to get them in shape cause everyone we dealt with in montana and south dakota leaves their equipment outside. Our case tractors caught fire once or twice, but over all, we got done around November. We got back and spent about a week doing winter prep and moving grain around - then we headed our separate ways.

Here are pics - and I'll answer or go into further detail about anything if you'd like. Btw, if I do this again, I'll go with a crew with John Deere combines, and try to get in with either one of you guys, and/or a crew that's been doing it for longer than 6-10 years
(I can't figure out how to post the pics - so I'll post the album link)
on the road:http://picasaweb.google.com/fprawli...?authkey=Gv1sRgCOHoyfKR0oyYGw&feat=directlink
Mainly in Montana:http://picasaweb.google.com/fprawli...authkey=Gv1sRgCNvIzeuohYvp5AE&feat=directlink
Mainly in South Dakota: http://picasaweb.google.com/fprawli...authkey=Gv1sRgCIzKh9yZ5ebtyQE&feat=directlink

That's a good story, thanks for sharing it. Imagine, all the talk of no jobs, and you got one the week after you were laid off. Sounds like you got to run some pretty nice equipment, and had a good time, too. Way to go, and nice pics, too!

Good for you Forest! I'm real pleased it worked out for you and envious of the education/experience you received. Nice pics too!

So...about a week or so ago I was contacted by a producer that was going to sell this idea of a reality show of custom harvesters to different networks. (kind of like ice road truckers, etc). The producer said that the history channel has bought it and interested in recording a whole season, and was wondering if I was coming back. Like I said at the end of the season, it'd be dependent on if I had a job or not. Then a co-worker texted me, saying he was interested only because he would be on tv, and my ex-boss of the harvest group called me tonight, but thankfully I didn't hear it and he went to voicemail, cause I don't think I want to do it.

I understand that a lot of people would say things like: Oh, You'll be famous!! / Oh, you'll be on tv!! / Oh, your testimony could be such a tool, not just for the guys on the crew, but those watching!! / You get paid?? and televised?? and get to drive big equipment?!?!

BUT

for anyone that's ever seen behind the scenes on "reality" tv, or has ever been interviewed - things can get skewered real easy and real fast...and I have NO interest in taking part. So...I have no idea, but I haven't got any good feelings doing another season, at least with this knowledge...

Oh..and I got an email that my application for the company has been approved...which I've only filled out once and that was last September. Looks like I've been pre-approved...

The video I posted was to sell to whatever channel would purchase it.

The actual series only had 3 or so episodes and than was canceled due to lack of interest/viewers.

I did not participate in the actual series. It wasn't worth the drama/cost of doing it. Not much incentive other than 15 minutes of fame or infamy.

That`d be cool to watch what there is of that series.
And here I thought You was going to be the guy with the coors can. LOL
I thought, well that's pretty cool for them to be praying before a disaster strikes.

I don't know how much I mentioned before the video, so I apologize if I'm repeating myself. It has been 9+ years, haha.

Yea - I did my best to make myself scarce whenever the production crew showed up - which is why you don't see me a whole lot. I was even missing when they showed the whole crew in various places because I made myself scarce and they left me behind, haha.

They filmed a lot of that when we were down due to snow in October, in Blunt, SD. They would take a situation that we may have had to deal with, blow it up 20x, and then film it over and over.

I was lounging in my bunk when a coworker came up and asked if I'd pray that the crop would dry so we could finish and go home. I told him that I would only do it if everyone agreed - I didn't want to be pushing if no one wanted it. Everyone was in agreement and I think it was for the "fame" factor. As we got in a circle, one guy was smoking, drinking and had his hat on. He asked if he should take his hat off and I said that if this was the only time he was going to pray that I didn't think God cared how he prayed - only that he would. But most everyone else took their hats off and set their drinks down. I prayed a real and honest prayer. I finished and the producer wanted me to "repeat the last 2-3 sentences, say Amen, and everyone walk away solemnly". I pray from the heart - not by memory, but the guy that asked about taking his hat off repeated what I had said, so that I could say the last part.

It was interesting, but I'd have to be under the right circumstances to do something like that full time. I really didn't want to be the "preacher" that may lead an upright life in real life, but be construed as a hypocrite from the producer...

I don't know if this counts as I'm just "small potatoes" right now but I have a small backyard garden where I am growing corn which this is my first time growing it... and peppers and I did some peppers last year it was a really good harvest and I hope I do as good this year... The people at my husbands work love my home pickled banana peppers... If anyone has any tips on how to harvest and protect certain plants I would love any feedback.😀

Back