• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My 1994 6.5 intercooler setup

AK thats exactly what popped into my head! A shaker cowl...hmm! The forward scoop would be better yes but I never did care for them. I have a large cowl on one of my race cars and on my 69 camaro and on the 72 chevy. I could cut up a composite cowl hood from about anything( I have one laying around!) and mount it under the hood! I am liking this!

And the Intercooler I have sits better this way. It isn't very tall but is long. The dimensions should lay close to the cowl! Where yours is run side to side mine will be front to rear.

Y'all have inspired me. I will run away with it! LOL

Raceday is right. Much more pressure at the rear of the hood. And yes the wind tunnels have shown us that the more speed the higher the air travels OVER the hood.

But The fan should still do it very well.

AK thats exactly what popped into my head! A shaker cowl...hmm! The forward scoop would be better yes but I never did care for them. I have a large cowl on one of my race cars and on my 69 camaro and on the 72 chevy. I could cut up a composite cowl hood from about anything( I have one laying around!) and mount it under the hood! I am liking this!

And the Intercooler I have sits better this way. It isn't very tall but is long. The dimensions should lay close to the cowl! Where yours is run side to side mine will be front to rear.

Y'all have inspired me. I will run away with it! LOL

we'll need pics!

I will sure have to do that! I have a video I want to post too. Can some one PM me and tell me how to post a phone video to youtube?

Damn that is a killer set up!....Def gives me some ideas as to how to intercool my truck. I may have to experiment with your design a bit and see if i can use that Air to water set up that was linked to in skylarks thread!

Either way is functional. Depends on what you like. IMO if you set up a cowl hood it would look better, but Toyota and Isuzu/GM have been facing forward for years with their IC set up's. That good enough for me.

These are some pic's I got in Thailand last year. Awesome trucks, wish they were available here!!!
singaporetrip22jan09 037.jpgsingaporetrip22jan09 177.jpgSingapore trip 2011 026.jpgSingapore trip 2011 027.jpgSingapore trip 2011 001.jpgSingapore trip 2011 025.jpg

Well my hood will have to wait. I dug out the donor cowl hood. And grabbed the IC I just got. Its about 10" too long. Have to find a shorter one first. Not giving up though!

First off, this is a mean looking setup! Great job on the body work.
My question is about running an inter-cooler at all. I've read in several places that the 6.5 actually runs worst with an inter-cooler due to the lag time of the turbo spooling up to accommodate the extra capacity of the inter-cooler. Is this just hype, or is there some truth to this?

My question is about running an inter-cooler at all. I've read in several places that the 6.5 actually runs worst with an inter-cooler due to the lag time of the turbo spooling up to accommodate the extra capacity of the inter-cooler. Is this just hype, or is there some truth to this?

Hi duallypilot

I one can make the intercooler cool more than the stock system, it must be for the better. I noticed a small lag with original WG control, so i replaced it with the Turbo Master, and it worked fine.
I am about to replace the turbo soon and i think the ATT turbo will do the job better than the GMx, will also add a 3 banger multi Program chip.

Not true. Even all stock with a GM-8 turbo my truck would hit super high intake air temps when towing, almost 300 degree.

Hype.

That's all I got to say 'bout that.

:)

There is some lag from an intercooler, it takes a second longer to pressurize it maybe, and I dont feel that the GMx can support the mass flow without becoming a worse restriction. To push more mass flow it has to spool that much more and its a restriction without it. Maybe running 10psi boost it can handle an intercooler without killing higher RPM flow and power. That would be better on th engine and power most likely than running 15psi without an intercooler.

If you have a larger turbo you may not need an intercooler, and it may run nicer without one, because the warmer air when not under load will get a better burn and less ignition delay. Under some circumstances some members have chosen to eliminate the intercooler for specific reasons.

Hello all, New to truckstop and first post. Glad to be here. I've had my 94 6.5 for about 9 yrs now and have had a bit of Heath work done to it but didnt really get serious until I bought a 9500 lb horse trailer. Now I need more!!!! Very nice job Subank2500, I have recently been pouring over blogs and websites looking for info on building a to mount IC with cooling fan and cowell hood exactly like yours but no definite answer to whether it would work or not. Could you tell me....
-What is your IAT/OAT?
-What size is the IC. What CFM is it?
-What CFM is your electric fan?
-I assume the fan is pushing air through the IC?
-What are the brackets in each corner with the rubber bushings and protruding studs for?

now for te intake did you just clock it differently or did you have to get a different one to make that work. i am thinking about putting on in my truck just behind the grill

Hello all, New to truckstop and first post. Glad to be here. I've had my 94 6.5 for about 9 yrs now and have had a bit of Heath work done to it but didnt really get serious until I bought a 9500 lb horse trailer. Now I need more!!!! Very nice job Subank2500, I have recently been pouring over blogs and websites looking for info on building a to mount IC with cooling fan and cowell hood exactly like yours but no definite answer to whether it would work or not. Could you tell me....
-What is your IAT/OAT? - Look at the atachments.
-What size is the IC. What CFM is it? - The size is 600x300x76mm, approx 5-700 cfm, se picture, i had it modified, to move the inlet, and outlets to fit the setup.
-What CFM is your electric fan? - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-12-SLIM...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item48423760ef.
-I assume the fan is pushing air through the IC? Yes
-What are the brackets in each corner with the rubber bushings and protruding studs for? it is the mounting brackets for the Intercooler.

My setup works like a dream, the mileage dropped 2dl pr. 10km, and the power is amazing.
Pulled the caravan(1850kg) earlier in 2012, and it was a joy to pull it. Lots of power, and nice temps.

Attachments

• F1-3F3.jpg
    F1-3F3.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Snapshot at 73 mph.pdf
    58.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Snapshot at 55mph.pdf
    61 KB · Views: 1
Back