• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Mud Flaps

07HDClassic

Reaction score
So I built these a while ago and just never got around to posting about them. I got tired of the mudflaps I had on the truck before, because they were screwed on to the fender and real close to the tire. I ended up ripping them off with my tire when I was at an offroad park.

The new mud flaps consist of 1" x 1" square tube for the frame and 1.25" x 1.25" square tube welded to a piece of flat stock and bolted into the frame. I cut a pair of 24" x 30" NAPA flaps in half and bolted them to the bracket. The mud flap bracket attaches to the frame bracket with 2 1/4" pins so they can be removed if needed... (when offroading)

The first round I had the flap hanging down too far and tore one off backing up to a curb. The second round I measure 8-9" off of the ground and re-hung them higher.

The first pic is when I ripped the old setup off while at an offroad park. The second is the old mud flap setup. The last 4 pics are the new setup I built.

Attachments

• 100_0624.jpg
    100_0624.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_0555.jpg
    100_0555.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_3000.jpg
    100_3000.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_3001.jpg
    100_3001.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_3002.jpg
    100_3002.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_3003.jpg
    100_3003.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 2
I wanted something that would hang back a bit, be out of the way, and that were removable. And it was simple to build, it took about 2-3 hours... the measuring is what took the longest amount of time.

I did something similar but built my bracket off the bumper. I welded a little step as well to help get into the bed. I'll have to take pics tomorrow when the sun is out.

I did something similar but built my bracket off the bumper. I welded a little step as well to help get into the bed. I'll have to take pics tomorrow when the sun is out.

Sun? Out? What is that? I only know of 20 ambient temperature and a faint glow to the sky.

I wish I had welding skills...I could fabricate something to keep rocks off my RV. Those might be tough in the snow?
Nice work! :thumbsup:

Sun? Out? What is that? I only know of 20 ambient temperature and a faint glow to the sky.

makes working in the daylight for 8 hours a bit challenging this time of year. :D

I hate it when I think it's gotta be 10 or 11 at night based on the darkness, but my watch says 5:30.

...that I can relate to...same here with being messed up with the internal clock. Coming home from work in the dark sucks, and soon it'll be dark on both ends with short days. The only thing missing is the subzero temps...:sad:

I sure wish I could uproot and go make a living in warm climates.

Here's mine (yes I'm running 2 mud flaps, one to protect the truck and one to protect my trailer etc.). They've held up pretty good after almost 5 years. I welded one tab on the square tube that bolts to the existing bumper bolt. I then welded a piece on the end of the square tube that runs vertical up to the frame where i drilled a hole and ran a bolt. It doesn't move at all, and supports my fat butt when I use the step to get in the bed. I had put some auxiliary back up lights underneath my little steps, but they didn't survive as well as I had hoped.

mudflap.jpg

mudflap2.jpg

One of these days we'll have to make a set for my truck.

For those who don't know, I ditched the giant NAPA flaps off my bumper and recently screwed a smaller flap on the fender, like Brandon's were previously. It doesn't look like they'll get ripped off however, as the wheel well shape is different and holds them back farther.

I had done the same thing with my '05 patrol truck, minus the lights. Now I have the '09 and didn't realize how much I used my step to get in. When you're wearing a vest and 40 pounds of lead around your waist it's hard to bend and flex to jump in the back of a pickup. That friggen tailgate is a long ways up there for my short legs. The bumper/frame attachment is different on the '09, much more flimsy and no clean anchor point to do like I did with the '05. When the hunting season starts to calm down I need to sit down next to the '09 and design a set for it.

I did have a co-worker ask me what made me decide on the design of the step. Simply enough it was the shape of the bench vise I was using at the time. Just used my BFH and pounded the flat bar around it. :D

Last edited:
Back