• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

MPH

curtjern

Recruit
Reaction score
What is the best chip to improve MPG on my 04 Cummins?
Most chips are for more horsepower, which I don't need.
I bought one and took it back because it did not increase mpg as they said.
Thanks!

You'll need to fill out yer sig, so we'll know something about yer ride - mainly, it's your right foot that controls fuel economy, but it also has to do with the truck and the equipment upgrades, as it was shipped from the factory with everything needed to get good economy, based on your driving habits..

BTW - welcome to the 'other' DTR...............

Last edited:
my neighbor has an 04 cummins and he's running the bullydog. he gets really great mileage. might be something to consider.

EDIT: most of those chips that get more HP also get more MPG, as long as the go pedal isn't on the floor all the time...

Last edited:
IMO I would stay away from BullyDog. Like GMCTD says, your foot controls alot of your fuel economy. On the CTD if you will keep the RPMs under 1900 you will see a good jump in your MPG's. You can also take a look at Edge Products new Mileage Max module, there are quite a few guys running it seeing a decent improvement.

I have run quite a few different programmers and the bullydog, Smarty, and Edge are great for power, there's no denying that...hypertech is junk, and I am running a superchips now....on the lowest setting, with intake and exhaust, I saw 3 mpg's better...which isn't a lot, but overtime it really is....

I have run quite a few different programmers and the bullydog, Smarty, and Edge are great for power, there's no denying that...hypertech is junk, and I am running a superchips now....on the lowest setting, with intake and exhaust, I saw 3 mpg's better...which isn't a lot, but overtime it really is....

What are you seeing for mileage after all is said and done?

Quadzilla has a Max Milegage Module that works very well and it is all plug and play.

Yep that would be a great choice...or you could buy a SMARTY and run it on low levels for better economy if you can fight the urge to go higher and keep your foot out of it...and then you will have big power if you ever want it.

SMARTY REvo nets me an Honest 20 mpg highway driving.

I have seen 22 on 1 tank, and 19 on another.

I do like the added features of the SMARTY, and the fact that you CAN RECOVER an ECM with one (something even Dodge cannot do!!)

So you will never be screwed if your downloader has a bad hair day and freezes during install.

With Smarty there are no fuese to pull either.

What I have noticed, over many, many tests, with many different mods is that I actually get my best mileage with my programming set on the higher settings.

Let the torque do the work and not the HP and your mileage goes up nicely.

I get much better mileage imporvements with the Smarty (with the Revo tuning) than I do with my Edge. I noticed no gains at all with the Edge.

What you need to do is turn off the torque management, increase the rail pressure (VERY slightly) and bump up the timing to get rid of the EPA timing. The timing is big one.

Adjust the Tq Mgmt until you see smoke under normal acceleration and then back off one setting.

Turn the rail pressure up to mild.

Bump the timing up until you begin to hear timing rattle. It sounds like marbles in the engine under acceleration. Then back it off to where you don't hear it.

On my truck, running with the mods I have, I net 17 - 19 MPG in day to day driving and 20 - 21.5 on the highway at 72 MPH.

Now, here is what you want to look for when driving..........YOU NEED GOOD GAUGES TO DO THIS.

1 - Boost. Keep boost number in the single digits
2 - EGT's. EGT's at cruise, on flat and level ground, should be in the 550 - 700 range
3 - RPM's. Keep them below 2000. That's where you are getting into the high point of the CTD fuel consumption

If your Boost is high and the EGT's are low, you're probably running too high on the RPM's vs engine load and you're wasting fuel.

If your EGT's are high and boost is low, you are lugging the engine and using more fuel than can be burned. Drop a gear or speed UP to get the numbers in check.

Balancing the boost, EGT's, RPM and engine load is where you'll see good mileage gains.

My best mileage, on three 600 mile legs from Columbus, Georgia to St Louis, MO to Columbus, OH and back to Columbus, GA was 23.7 MPG (hand calculated).

Last edited:
Back