• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

motors motors motors

Parts that arrived while I was out of town were the newly machined pre-cups, ARP head studs, .10 over head gaskets, and the flywheel.

Pre-cups were enlarged to .007 larger than diamond cups

P8050116.jpg

P8050115.jpg

Head studs/gaskets installed

P8050117.jpg

Looking at your cups it looks like the same person did yours, be good to see how they work...

You will beat me at getting the motor going, I am waiting on my pump & turbo to come back.....

with gaskets went with the felpro +10 head gaskets. Machine work was done by a guy recommended to me by another member on this site. If you want his contact info shoot me a pm. Work looks solid and well done.

I dunno you still might finish before me, motor still needs alot of work before it's finished.
-Turbo
-New intake manifold (cracked the lower)
-Exhaust manifolds. Either something custom or run a 6.5 driver side and a 6.2 passanger side to get both the exhaust manifolds exiting towards the rear.
-Center mount turbo setup
-4" exhaust
-Feed the beast
-Injectors
-intercooler plumbed up

Then there is the truck work thats still left. Currently the truck is torn down to the frame

Nice work and progress! And I like those pre-cups, look like they are very well done and looking at the pictures makes we want to get a set done too! I bet they will really do well for turbocharging and power increase.

Should work pretty well, pre-cup mods are kind of a dark art from what I've learned from here and other research. Going too large causes issues, too small is restrictive.

Those are the cups that came with the motor, just had them reworked. The machinist has modified another set to that size before with good results.

Well a little update. When I've had free time I've been working on the frame so not much to report on the motor. Bought a used ATT from Monarkman so I can build my compound turbo setup. I would like to get my crossover pipes designed before I get the cab on since it will be easier to design them that way.

Oh JiFaire, there will not be a seperate "pictorial How I installed my ATT thread" , it will be in this thread :hihi:

ATT, injectors, and cooling system upgrade have all arrived, been buying up the parts I need to finish the motor here the past few weeks.

Got the rocker assemblies torqued down and the valve covers installed along with the high flow water pump. Need to get my lower F intake manifold fixed, cracked it when I was removing it. Once that's fixed, new upper intake and passenger side exhaust manifold arrive I can get started with routing the compound turbo setup.

Agreed, about to be riding the motorcycle in the winter again like last year if it's not done soon.

Going searching for somebody that can weld up my cracked lower intake manifold tomorrow. Fuel system is put back together and the flywheel is now installed.

You might be able to JB weld it? I have one I cracked, something got under a runner as I was tightening it down. Sucked because it was just powdercoated to. Anyway thinking of just JB'ing it.

Got the intake manifold JB welded, will find out if it holds.

Started setting up the turbos today for the compound setup, GM4 and ATT
From the passenger side
P1010156_zpse23aadbc.jpg

Rear
P1010155_zpse09b8591.jpg

Driver
P1010157_zpsf68492dd.jpg

Driver front
P1010158_zps6661089a.jpg

Top from passenger side
P1010159_zps479c6450.jpg

I'm planning to run a mount or 2 for each turbo to hold them in place, instead of just relying on the exhaust to do it.

Got the intake manifold JB welded, will find out if it holds.

Started setting up the turbos today for the compound setup, GM4 and ATT
From the passenger side
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z277/redhead1987/Diesel%20build%20and%20swap/P1010156_zpse23aadbc.jpg[/I
Rear
[IMG]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z277/redhead1987/Diesel%20build%20and%20swap/P1010155_zpse09b8591.jpg

Driver
P1010157_zpsf68492dd.jpg

Driver front
P1010158_zps6661089a.jpg

Top from passenger side
P1010159_zps479c6450.jpg

I'm planning to run a mount or 2 for each turbo to hold them in place, instead of just relying on the exhaust to do it.
are you going to leave the wastegate on the gm-4 tied shut? is that a mock up motor? what do you have planned for the intake plenum?

Not a mock up motor, thats the one that will be powering the 87 dually. I just never bothered to paint the motor. Lower intake is stuffed with rags while I try to figure out the turbo locations and routing.

Wire will be cut off of the gm4 waste gate, no need to try and push it past whats its capable of doing efficiently. It should max out around 1800-2000rpm's, right when the ATT should be really waking up. I'm running marine injectors and will be turning the fuel up at the injection pump. Getting rid of the gm4's stock 'cobra' elbow will remove alot of the restriction, helping the flow and keeping the heat from getting too high. All exhaust will be wrapped and the ATT has a blanket. Need to find a blanket for the gm4.

Upper intake could be a challenge. Routing all the pipes can make the space a bit of a challenge. on the exhaust side it's going out the manifolds, up the back of the motor to the center mounted gm4. Out the gm4 to the ATT, then downpipe out of the engine bay along the driver's side (truck has a passenger side drop front axle). Intake air is going from a filter on the passenger side, into gm4, crossing to ATT over the injection pump, out driver side to intercooler. From intercooler to passenger side/front intake manifold.

Not using the stock FFM which frees up alot of space right there for the gm4.

Back