• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Motor from Ted's Trucks not happy at 1st, VERY HAPPY with GREAT after sale care

vegtech

WVO Enthusiast
Reaction score
yukon 003.jpgyukon 014.jpgyukon 013.jpgyukon 012.jpgyukon 011.jpgyukon 010.jpgyukon 009.jpgyukon 008.jpgyukon 007.jpgyukon 005.jpgyukon 004.jpgyukon 001.jpgyukon 002.jpgyukon 015.jpgso i got my motor today and uncrated it first off a big hole in the crate, no big deal. so i pop the top to find the motor half wrapped with plastick and a rip in that. there was coolant all through the valley and some light serface rust. the valve cover on the driver sife was caved in. not a big deal to me but it could have been crated better.(I did pay extra for that)

Now when i told Ted I planned to remove the heads to instal my ARP studs with new gaskets. He said that was a good idea. Well I removed the heads to find the two front cylinders having rust in them. The driver side rusted so bad that the cylinder is pitted. The oil pan had water in it as well. here are some pics. This damage did not happen I will keep you posted of what happens next put this motor is NOT going in my truck. I will ad, This motor WAS in AMAZING shape untill it got water in it. It looks new other then the rust and pitted cylinder. I am so depressed

man that sucks, I just got a good one from margerat yesterday, pulled the pan and only a couple specs of rust, super clean and looks like it was barely run!!! However I am not pulling the heads, I did put on a high volume oil pump just because I was there!!! I checked endplay had .005. I am anxcious to get the rest of the parts so I can put it in and give it back to the customer.

That sucks. I guess we will see how good ted stands behind his engines. I hope he's a stand up guy and gets another one headed your way soon.

Looks like more than shipping damage there. I was feeling bad about using a 6.2 again with this 6.5 source. Perhaps these engines are not run before shipping out?

Interesting to see what they do about it. Hopefully you do not have a deadline to get the truck back on the road for income like I did.

man that sucks, I just got a good one from margerat yesterday, pulled the pan and only a couple specs of rust, super clean and looks like it was barely run!!! However I am not pulling the heads, I did put on a high volume oil pump just because I was there!!! I checked endplay had .005. I am anxcious to get the rest of the parts so I can put it in and give it back to the customer.

Pull the heads otherwise you don't know what you really got. Cracked heads, rusty bores etc... ARP and new head gaskets while they are easy to get to is cheap insurance.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I'd be pissed to.

I just installed my engine that I bought from Teds and it was immaculate when I pulled the tin.

Heck the the oil pan was spotless and so was the rest of the motor.

Mine runs like ten good men and I was recommending Teds to everyone,but won't anymore unless he works with you on that motor.

I explained my concerns about no warranty and looked at his feedback which was great. Ted said that if there was a problem he would work with me, and only had to do that for one person in the past year.

I took the chance and it worked out for me, although I really feel bad for you, and would send him pics of what you found and see if he will rectify the situation.

Whatever route you take I wish you the best and hope this works out for you.

i had talked to hhim befor i bought it and expressed my concerns as well and he said the few problems they had, he took care of. We will see what happens in the morning. I have no regret for taking the advise i got from here. its a great deal and i'm sure he will help me out .

I would not put one in without removing the heads. because you cant see the bores. the motor looked brand new under the valve cover and oil pan. It was not untill i took the head off, that i saw the damage. If i had out the motor in and run it with out looking, it would have ran fine just lower comp on that cyl then over time it would have taken out the rings.

the motor looked brand new under the valve cover and oil pan. It was not untill i took the head off, that i saw the damage.

What motor are you talking about? The one in the pics has schegma/crap in the pan and the pickup.

I should have took pics of mine. Yours looks like it might have had a blown H/G.

I think if you show him the pics he will give you another motor.

Keep us posted as to the out come, hopefully Teds will be a man of his word.

I will call him myself if need be.

Tell us the good news ASAP.

Im also interested to hear the out come of how he handles it. I just told a buddy about him he was looking into buying an engine real soon.

Oh, noes.

I haven't pulled mine apart yet. I might have to suspend my other project long enough to pull the heads and inspect them.

I'm also curious to note that those are square precups, not diamond precups. Interesting. The vent port on mine, looking into the injector port, appear to be diamonds. They are definitely larger than those square ones.

Vegtech, what is the date code on that block?

Oilslick, do you have details on your block and a date code?

Mine also has the larger precups.

Maybe that 's an older one or an N/A motor ?

Doesn't make sense, I thought they were all built the same.

I just can't believe they shipped a motor like that. they had to know about the antifreeze issues, unless the motor was rolling all over the freight carriers truck which might explain the tin damage.

You will be fine, Ted is a christian and I will be very dissapointed if he doesn't (A) refund some money or (B) send another motor.

The only way they did a compression test on that motor is if it was before the pitting of the cylinder/s because even if godzilla was rolling that around in the truck it wouldn't have pitted in two days.

Keep us informed.

the valve cover on the driver sife was caved in. not a big deal to me but it could have been crated better.(I did pay extra for that)

Yeah by a fork truck. That had nothing to do with the crate job.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with Margaret at Teds.

I sent the pics you posted and she said you will get another motor.

She wished you hadn't signed for it because of the apparent damage from the fork lift fork damage to the valve cover.

Please give her a call ASAP.

She's gonna call you today, and is wondering why you haven't contacted her about the damage, being that it's that bad.

I see no evidence of a blown HG in those pics. Yet it took a big drink of coolant somehow. Was the plastic wrap ripped like that when you rec'd it? It's almost looks like somebody yanked the intake first then the coolant x-over with the engine completely full of coolant. Otherwise it drained in there *somehow*...

That sucks.

Some of these may have been 6.2 replacements, not for the HMMWV, but for CUCV trucks. So some may have the lower flow oil pumps, non-functional oil piston squirters and smaller precups.

Back