• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

More Computer Problems

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
There are atleast 2 Files on my PC that Freeze Up my Virus Software when it does a Scan.

C:\Windows\System32\NlsData000d.dll (Freezes Webroot) and C:\Windows\System32\NlsData0007.dll (Freezes Avast). There might be more that will Freeze them Up, but it doesn't make it Past these 2.

When it Freezes, it First Freezes the Scan, then the Computer will just Sit there, and if you Try to Open anything, you just the the Blue Spinning Icon for the Mouse and nothing happens.

It did Pick Up 5 Virus's and I got them into Quarantine and Deleted them, so they are gone, but there might be more, and that is what's Causing the Problem.

I Searched the File Paths in Google, and it said they could be Registry Related, so I got the Free Registry Scanner, did that, and it Found over 1500 Errors. Fixed that, but the Virus Scan Freeze Problem is still there.

Any Input? Can I just Delete those Files and everything be ok?

I would try running Trend Micro HouseCall and see if that makes it all the way.

Last edited:
Yea, I just Downloaded it Last Night.

It Freezes on that one File. Same with the Webroot, but a Different File, same Location though.

Knowing Avast would just Freeze, I Opened it this Morning and had it Start a Scan. I left it Scanning, and went out and did my usual Morning Errands.

Came Back to this:

IMG-20110412-00001.jpg

...but the Computer still Runs and Works as it should. I'm on it right now. I've Downloaded and Ran just about ever Registry Checker, and everything, and it's not Finding Errors anywhere.

If your not opposed to to a backup, and then completely reinstall Windows I think that would be your best bet James. I don't know when the last time you have done a reinstall, but I always try to do it once every couple of years.

Should I just go out and get Windows 7?

What should I Back Up? I already Moved my iTunes and EFI Files to my External HD. Along with other Misc. Word Files, Pictures, ect...

There's nothing else I REALLY need to Back-Up right?

Should I just go out and get Windows 7?

What should I Back Up? I already Moved my iTunes and EFI Files to my External HD. Along with other Misc. Word Files, Pictures, ect...

There's nothing else I REALLY need to Back-Up right?

Any other files of importance? What OS are you running? If Vista I would recommend getting 7 if you just feel like it. I'm running it and I'm satisfied. If you want, go and make a complete directory backup and you'll have the info in case you missed a file that you might need.

Any other files of importance? What OS are you running? If Vista I would recommend getting 7 if you just feel like it. I'm running it and I'm satisfied. If you want, go and make a complete directory backup and you'll have the info in case you missed a file that you might need.

From what I can Think of now, I got all the Important stuff over on my External HD now.

Everything else can be Re-Downloaded or Added without being Back-Up.

But even if I have the Virus or whatever is Causing the Problem, it won't "Come Over" with a Fresh Vista or Win7 Install? Like it won't Stay On the HD and Pop Up after the New Install?

From what I can Think of now, I got all the Important stuff over on my External HD now.

Everything else can be Re-Downloaded or Added without being Back-Up.

But even if I have the Virus or whatever is Causing the Problem, it won't "Come Over" with a Fresh Vista or Win7 Install? Like it won't Stay On the HD and Pop Up after the New Install?

It's its embedded within a file or program it would.

So then the only way to do a total Wipe and New Install is to either get a New HD for the Laptop, or get a whole New Laptop?

So then the only way to do a total Wipe and New Install is to either get a New HD for the Laptop, or get a whole New Laptop?

Just save your important files, you should be virus free that way. Yes, do a wipe and fresh install of Windows and you should be fine.

Ok, I'm still Trying things here to See if I can get it Scanning right.

But if I can't get it figured out, I just Use the Discs that came with the Laptop to Reinstall Windows right? Or do I have to go and Buy the New OS by itself.

Hold on! Try this: rename each of the files that are creating the problems by changing their extensions from .dll to .dl9 (or .dl2 or .dl3 ... it doesn't matter as long as it's not .dll). Reboot and let us know what happens. If your antivirus still scans them and hangs the system, copy them off the PC, then delete them. Reboot and try again.

When I Follow the File Path and Try to Rename them, this Box comes up, and won't let me do anything. This is the same Box that comes up if I try to Delete the Files as well. They Look like they are Part of the Language Section of Vista.

Attachments

• IMG-20110412-00003.jpg
    IMG-20110412-00003.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20110412-00002.jpg
    IMG-20110412-00002.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 3
Do it as SuperUser/administrator in Vista:

-- Start
-- type "cmd"
-- highlight the command prompt when it appears on the program list
-- press [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[Enter] to run command prompt as administrator

Navigate to the folder and rename the extention of the problem files.
If you are unfamiliar with DOS commands to navigate to folders with names longer than the old 8.3 format, let me know and I'll post a quick tutorial.

OR, continue from above to use Windows Explorer to navigate:
-- type the following on the command prompt: net user administrator /active:yes

Log out, log back in as "administrator" and change your password through Control Panel/User Accounts

Googled my Problem and Found a Thread On MacAffee's Site. I Followed some Instructions they had and so far everything is Coming Up Clean. Right now, I've got something by them Called "Stinger" Running. Been Going for Over an Hour. I Guess it's Scanning Literally EVERY File On my PC.

If it comes up Clean as well, I'm just gonna Call it Fixed, and just Guess it's a DLL Error, and the only way to Fix it is to Re-Install the OS.

Am I Crazy to do that?

Back