• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Monster Diesel

Just saw the American Chopper episode where they had OCC build a diesel chopper.

I just checked out the Monster Diesel website & couldn't really find any independently documented results. Lots of mktg driven press releases & testimonials. They certainly seem to have invested in the sales/mktg effort.

Guess it remains to be seen if their benefit claims agree with everyday consumer's results. Fuel economy or power benefits anywhere near the degree they're claiming should be pretty easy to document.

Actually cutting diesel consumption by up to 15% should be quite easy to document by an OTR trucker that makes consistent runs over the same geography & weather conditions - & keeps good fuel fill/miles driven records.

The same should apply to recording fuel fill/miles driven on our pickups, although it takes most of us a bit longer to accumulate enough miles to show a clear mileage difference/trend.

You can go to the website and they will send you a brochure and a free sample. I am ordering some from a dealer on another website tomorrow. Seams to be reasonably priced. I am currently using Stanadyne performance formula and everyone in a while 2 stroke oil. Not sure if I will be able to post any comments as I don't really know if I will be able to tell a difference. It just breaks down to a cheaper cost than the Stanadyne

I simply write down the truck's odo mileage on every fuel fill receipt. Then save the receipts around my desk at home, until I get the numbers entered into an Excel spreadsheet. Once in the habit, it really doesn't take very long.

Over time, this makes a pretty good record of fuel economy averaging out little individual fill differences like if the truck is level at the fill, or just how full you got the tank.

Once we get back to warmer weather, consistent #2 diesel fills - & more consistent outdoor temps, I may see about that sample offer. I'm not necessarily a skeptic; I just know that there have been some very successfully marketed & profitable fuel & oil additives that didn't seem to show when I tried them.

I recently read a thread on a similar subject where a guy said his Dad taught him there were 2 subjects men occasionally exagerate about:

1. sex
2. fuel economy

^ My trip odometer doesn't work so I have been going off the odometer keeping my receipts for fuel. So this makes me lazy if I forget to record the mileage. I have had the truck only since November and I am on my 5th tank of gas. Don't drive it much since I am unemployed. Most trips are to take the kids to school and back. A lot of idling time. I usually get around 15.5 mpg. I just recently Blocked off the EGR and hogged out the upper intake. So I really don't have a good base point to go off of.

^ My trip odometer doesn't work so I have been going off the odometer keeping my receipts for fuel. So this makes me lazy if I forget to record the mileage. I have had the truck only since November and I am on my 5th tank of gas. Don't drive it much since I am unemployed. Most trips are to take the kids to school and back. A lot of idling time. I usually get around 15.5 mpg. I just recently Blocked off the EGR and hogged out the upper intake. So I really don't have a good base point to go off of.

well theres yer problem:D:D sorry had to mess with you i still catch my self doing that occasionaly i did it alot when i first got the truck

I've got a quart of Monster Diesel coming from a vendor on the other site. I'll let you all know if it holds up to it's claims.

I have been watching threads about this product. The results are not even close to the claims. ):h

You are exactly right!

Do not waste your money on the snake oil. If people would use a little common sense and pay attention to how that product is being pushed by the staff they would figure out it isn't worth pouring down the sink. :thumbsup:

no results here. Both bottles are still sitting on the counter in the box they showed up in. Haven't really had any desire to even try the stuff to be honest. Dunno what to expect from the Monster Diesel so i'll try it before i say anything about it.

You are exactly right!

Do not waste your money on the snake oil. If people would use a little common sense and pay attention to how that product is being pushed by the staff they would figure out it isn't worth pouring down the sink. :thumbsup:

Also 8100 power, i push nothing on that site except that people read the FAQs before asking questions. I'd appreciate it if you didn't throw me under the bus. Thanks.

Also 8100 power, i push nothing on that site except that people read the FAQs before asking questions. I'd appreciate it if you didn't throw me under the bus. Thanks.

I think 8100 is talking about the "staff" that is making/giving away the stuff, not you! :thumbsup:

no results here. Both bottles are still sitting on the counter in the box they showed up in. Haven't really had any desire to even try the stuff to be honest. Dunno what to expect from the Monster Diesel so i'll try it before i say anything about it.

I didn't single you out, until then, don't believe that I did.

It's nothing but a big scam Dave.

I didn't single you out, until then, don't believe that I did.

It's nothing but a big scam Dave.

I know you didn't single me out, and by no means am i trying to point fingers, however when you say "pushed by the staff" it lumps all the staff into that one sinking boat that i and others do not belong in.

As far as MD, like i said i've got 2 bottles here and no real desire to even try them, yet i continue to replenish my stock of Power Service and 2 stroke oil. If that doesn't speak my opinion i don't know what does.

Generally, fuel additives restore fuel mileage lost to deposits in the fuel system and combustion area. The idea that an additive can improve mileage on a clean engine in proper tune is kind of far fetched.

For example:

#2 Diesel fuel has a btu rating of somewhere near 130,500. I'm using this number for calculation purposes, there are other numbers out there but they are not statistically significant in difference.

From http://www.monsterdiesel.com/about/economic-benefits/

"A quart of Monster Diesel™, when added to an 18-wheeler’s two tanks of regular diesel, essentially creates a premium grade fuel. With the power to cut diesel consumption by 15%, the savings are remarkable. "

Assuming 250 gal of fuel in a semi, 1 quart of this additive would have to add 4,893,750 btus to raise the energy available by 15%.

It may raise the efficiency of an engine running at 85% efficiency back to 100% by cleaning everything back to 'like new', but it will not raise the efficiency from 100% to 115%.

All in my humble opinion of course.

I'm not a chemist, nor an expert on fuel additives, or even on fuel. Disclaimer made. Chemistry hasn't really changed over the past few months, especially concerning diesel engines. I'm purty sure that if some huge breakthrough was discovered by some propeller-head in a lab all of the chemistry geeks would know about it and would incorporate it into their own products. Monster Diesel no doubt is just another additive trying to break into the market, maybe it's great but I doubt it's any better than any of the other top brands currently on the market. Call me a cynic but after living through the "Slick 50" days, well it all just seems like :icon_bs:to me.

Dave, I gotta say I'm glad to see you distance yourself from this... saying the product contains a denatured form of nitroglycerine? C'mon, use at least a little common sense.

I am quite frankly aghast that site admins would push this product. Have they considered the attached liability when somebody lays a class-action lawsuit about engine damage or failure to perform claims?

Stand back, my friend. You don't want to be associated, methinks.

When MS first came out on the OCC show, I looked up the company on the stock market, read up on them, and from what I can tell the 3 people on their web site are the company. The woman is new in the business and worked in a completely different industry before joining the firm. They are big into marketing, but aside from the endorsement from Orange County Choppers have nothing but "claims" on how good their product is. I wish it does what they claim, but if it did, people would be falling over themselves to buy this product.

Back