• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Missing Rubber bushing

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
While I was doing my oil cooler I noticed a rubber bushing missing from what looks to be the drive box. It is at the bottom front of the engine compartment on the driver side at the end of the steering column. Anyone know what it's called and where I can get one? Oh and what the cost may be?

Here is the pic.
IMG_5784.jpg

I can't tell real well by the pick but it looks like the pitman arm. about 40 bucks from LMC. I don't think there is suppose to be a bushing there. I could be wrong. Maybe in the steering box. but it looks like the spline has dropped.

That's the pitman arm and there is no bushing there.You only need to replace it if there is wear on the ball socket where it attaches to the center link. These trucks are known for wearing out idler arms (simillar looking item on other side of center link). My opinion after spending a few years doing front end work is if one is worn out replace them both. You can check them by raising the front of the truck up so both tires are off the ground. Crawl under and see if you can move the center link up and down. Now would also be a good time to check the ball joints on the A-arms by placing a lever under the tire and lifting the tire up and see if there is any movement. You should also check the tie rods by grabbing the tire at the 3 o-clock and 9 o-clock and with the steering locked attempt to turn the tire while watching the tie rods for movement. None of these items are that hard to replace (a side benifit of the constant oil leaks is it keeps parts from rusting together). After replacing any front end parts be sure to get an alignment.

Thanks guy's. I noticed the similar item on the otherside that had it so I assumed it was missing. Another great reason for this website. Saves me time trying to replace somthing that isn't there.

That is the steering box. Those splines are tapered, so you probably will never see them completely covered. There is a seal on the stearing box itself, which you can see in the picture. Looks right to me.

Back