• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

min 18:1 starting temperature

J.Peart

Reaction score
I asked this once before on the other site but never go an answer:

I'm planning on going 18:1 with the 95 when i finally can get back to working on it. So im wondering whats the minimum temp a 18:1 6.5L will start at (with good batteries, glow plugs, injectors, etc)? with and without block heater would be good.

its ussauly 0*C to -10*C in the winter, but can get down to -20 to -30*C for a few days a year. I know I've seen some people around the forums with 18:1 in colder areas so hopefully someone can give me an idea.

Thanks,
James

You'll definately have to either a manual GP switch or an override to extend the glow time. IIRC, Heaths GL series of chips addresses this.

I have manual override already, and i have either the HP4 or the GL4 (got mine just as the GL4 came out. either way my Heath chip has changes to the glow system.

I live in Northern IL, gets a lil nippy up here. Beginning/middle of December it was mighty cold, all single digit days and some below zero nights. I start my 18:1 every morning within 5 seconds of cranking. I let the standard glow plug time go, then turn the key and it fires right up, every time. BUT, I do have SS diesel fast heat glow plugs which I replace every 2 years just to make sure that I have easy winter starts. AND I DO NOT EVEN PLUG IN MY TRUCK:eek:

I live in Northern IL, gets a lil nippy up here. Beginning/middle of December it was mighty cold, all single digit days and some below zero nights. I start my 18:1 every morning within 5 seconds of cranking. I let the standard glow plug time go, then turn the key and it fires right up, every time. BUT, I do have SS diesel fast heat glow plugs which I replace every 2 years just to make sure that I have easy winter starts. AND I DO NOT EVEN PLUG IN MY TRUCK:eek:

Ok, well i have Bosch Duratherms that are about a year old now so i might have to glow them a bit longer than yours, but other than it sounds like i should be fine.

No dyno yet, got a house and hand full of work with it. I have just been driving my truck regularly, no dyno yet. I have a slew of front end issues coming up as I have just clicked over 200,000 miles and I have never worked on the front suspension of my truck :eek:

Truck is running great though, no problems (fingers crossed now) and still running 20+ psi of boost all the time.

Back